1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
I'd go with the BF Goodrich tires.... They're rated #1 in the class...

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Sorry this one's not my field of expertise; I've no personal experience with either tire, so what Nick there said makes sense to me as far as were I to choose between those two.

-Ed

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You won't be disappointed with either of them for street driving. I would be a little concerned about the road noise though. If you don't like road noise, neither of these tires is going to be stellar. If road noise isn't a big deal, buy the cheaper tire and call it a day. Kumho has spent a lot of time and money building a following in competitive motorsports, they don't have any bad tires any more. KDWs are great tires too, so you won't go wrong with either one.

A 2 pound difference in weight for a street tire isn't a huge deal. If you are competing, sure, it's a lot, but for street duty, I wouldn't use weight as a primary selection criteria. If the sidewalls are fragile because the weight is low, you'll be a lot unhappier if you tear a sidewall than if you have 8 extra pounds across four wheels. That's not to say the Kumhos are fragile, it's just an example.

Personally, I'd buy the Kumhos if I had to choose between the two.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
I have used the kdw for about 15k miles and I still have a bit tread on them still. I know you didn't ask me but I thought I might give you some insight into the kdw. I have noticed that when the temp drops below 40 Fahrenheit the rubber gets hard and loses some of its grip. I live in Northern Cali and it's only noticeable on cold nights. I would not suggest this tire if you live in snow areas. Now when it's warm they become awesome tires. My P zero's had nothing on these. One noticeable thing is these tires make the limit very controllable. Breakaway is gradual and you still have grip even in a slide. So they can soak up some of your mistakes. I am amazed at the tread life also for such a sticky tire. All and all these tires are great but they can be dangerous in the cold and they lose a bit of their wet traction after about 15k.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, thanks for everyone's input, I went with the Kumho option. If they give me trouble I can always get something else later.

Package will take 1 day to get here once they ship since tirerack has been so nice to setup a distribution center in Georgia so they can charge me shipping and tax. They also seem to be charging tax on the shipping which doesn't seem legal so I emailed them about it.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Please be sure to post a review in our tire sticky!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On a side note, it looks like TireRack is charging sales tax on shipping charges which I've confirmed as not being legal and so I have emailed them about this. We'll see what they say.

Just for confirmation, it looks like a business can legally charge sales tax on handling costs (packaging, tape, etc) but not for transportation costs. So if you ship a product and it costs you $20 for shipping via UPS you can't legally charge sales tax on that. But if you charge me $25 due to packaging costs you can legally charge me sales tax on the $5 above the $20 you paid UPS but not on the $20 itself.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
UPS always delivers around my neighborhood in the evening (6-7PM) and of course the guy decided to deliver before noon today so naturally I wasn't here to sign since I was at work. @(*()#@*

Anyway, I'm going to work from home tomorrow so I can make sure I get them. Expect pictures by tomorrow night (my tc is a little dirty though).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.