Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont know if some of you saw my post on ScionLife. I bought the K&N CAI for the tC. Fitment was great, besides a little rubbing when turning left and taking off. I'll fix that soon.
After the install I reset the ECU. Took the car for a drive and the performance was horrible.
I didnt even hear the intake make noise (VVT-i)

So I drove the car around so it could get use to it. I did notice a little better pull. The next day I went for a drive, still the same performance. The car had little or no bottom end power at all. It pulled only after 4500-4800rpms.
Basically the car got slower for $260. I have proof also. Took the car to the track same night after the intake install. Didnt get anything low than a 16.4, I ran a 16.2 with the car stock. My 60's were horrible because of the bad bottom end. However I did gain almost 3 more mph. Thats great for an intake!!!

I dont know why I never thought of this but just yesterday I decided to feel the intake pipe after a normal drive with several hard take offs. WOW, the pipe was almost burning hot!!! Heat soak is the problem for poor intake performance.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Imagine that. A metal pipe getting hot under the hood. Who'd've thought of that?

Maybe someone else?

·
Registered
414 Posts
My K&N should be in tomorrow, your scaring me with that post!

·
Registered
130 Posts
a intake is not going to guarantee a decrease in your times, there are variables, such as temperaturs, tire temps, rpms, etc... there are no guarantees in any upgrade. I bought at aem for my integra, there were points were i got 33 mpg doing 100 mph from nyc to albany and there were points were i got 18 mpg from albany to albany. Then you have 90 degree heat and 30 degree heat, fact of the matter is there are variables, it's a fact of performance and of hp.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
i had a short intake on my first car, and i ran a washing machine hose from the grill to the filter... i dunno if u can do that w/ the tC... but if you can, try it out and see if it helps, it did with mine.... i would check it out myself.. but i dont have a tC yet.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.