Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does have a problem with moisture getting inside the headlight housings? I have been getting fogged up spots inside my headlights at night and in the mornings... I just wasnt sure if this would result in shorter bulb life or if it is just a common occurrance.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Fog appearing on the lenses is not a problem. If you see actual moisture accumulating inside the headlights (or taillights), on the other hand, that indicates that the seal around the housing is broken somewhere, which is bad.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that info, I was just a little leary about the moisture and I didnt know if it would mess up the lifetime of the headlights.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Originally posted by D_Rock2001@Feb 2 2005, 12:43 PM
Thanks for that info, I was just a little leary about the moisture and I didnt know if it would mess up the lifetime of the headlights.
moisture all the time is not normal at all.. i had the same problem with the driver's headlight for 3 months.. finally got sick of it and took it to the dealer.. they agreed it's not normal and ordered a new headlight.. all installed now and no moisture.. so take it to the dealer, they'll get you a new headlight assembly.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Maybe. Supras have this issue too, along with the plastic turning yellow over time.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
It might have something to do with the seal - but our headlights are not airtight - there are actually breather holes in them (as in most modern headlights) - so the moisture should be escaping. Why does it stay in yours - not really sure.

In my 2 years being a car freak I baked half a dozen sets of headlights - so I intentionally broke the seal then put the headlight back together - none of the 6 sets had any fogging, and I don't remember being too careful with making sure everything is perfectly sealed. (Oh, baking was necessary to take the assembly apart to paint it - don't ask...)

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I was the first to bake Supra headlights way back in '98 so I could get the lens off to polish it up inside and out. Baking them seems to be pretty common now.

Z is dead on about the breathers. The air inside the plastic housing has to be able to expand somewhere when the bulbs are on. It gets pretty warm in there. Then when the lights are shut off, the air cools and sucks cold air (and humidity) back into the housing. That's where your fogging is coming from.

I never have condensation problems with my Supra (or tC) because they are garaged. When I had a carport, I had LOTS of problems with my Supra headlights from condensation. Sacramento is VERY humid in the winter months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.