Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put in the Silverstars in and i love them. But when you look at the headlights, they dont seem as bright because of the dull colored parking bulb on the bottom of the light. Has anyone changed that bulb? and know the size, and is it hard to get to? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Yes, I have changed it. No, it is not especially hard to get at, once you see how it sticks into the housing and feel around a bit. And, yes, I know the size, and it is 194.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet!, thanks alot man, um i was looking on that superbright leds.com and it has a couple different models for the 194, like strait or bent or something like that?
this sound right? and what color did you get? like it? THANKS MAN!

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I got blue LED 194s, and they should just be normal, straight bulbs. In fact, I've never heard of 194s being angled, just headlight bulbs like H3s and H4s.

Blue will be illegal, of course...I dunno how much the cops in your area will care, but beware...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks alot!, ill order one pair of blue and white maybe, see how that works
thanks!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Originally posted by phungy@Dec 7 2004, 10:15 AM
someone told me that cops are soon going to give tickets to those with aftermarket HID maybe cause theyre blinding everyone now... -shrugs-
Yeah the cop that I know here in town says that they will be cracking down the on the aftermarket HIDs because some of them are not self-leveling. Also, the reason he said its going to be hard to give out tickets and such is because they will have to prove that they put those in which can be extremely hard, cause different models of cars come with different features, even the same model only a higher model can come with HIDs and the lower model does not.

So do I think that it is going to be enforced...likely not...too hard to prove

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I doubt they'll pull you over for it, but if they pull you over for something else, expect they will add it to the list.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
How is it hard to tell? The cop can ask you if you have proof that the HIDs are factory-installed. If you can't produce any proof, he gives you a ticket. If you have the list "at home," you bring it into court and get the ticket dismissed. Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's pretty easy for cops to enforce this.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
IMHO the intensity of enforcement is directly related to the fine size. Unless there's a big fine, they aren't going to waste their time pulling someone over when they could get a bigger ticket just as easily.

I've never seen anyone in California get pulled over for not having a front license plate, but I've seen them add it to a laundry list of other "fix-it" infractions many times.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Your paranoia may be getting the better of you, Lance...or, California cops may just be different than metro Atlanta cops. The most common infraction I have seen people ticketed for, by far, is speeding -- which is not particularly expensive unless you're going 25+ over the limit. You are also ignoring the fact that there are good reasons for enforcing some things more rigorously than others -- for example, dark or mirrored tint is an obvious sign that the driver may be trying to hide something, whether you like it or not. Even if that's a myth (which I don't think it is), these are pretty obvious mental leaps, which is why they are common reasons for pulling people over.

As far as "piling on," I've seen lots of that, too, and I am not a big fan of it...but there's nothing really wrong with it. Generally, you can get most of the counts dropped if you're not a jerk to the prosecutor.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You wouldn't believe how expensive it is to speed here. Take into consideration, they set their radar threshold to 80 mph, even in a 55. Those are pretty big tickets after they pile on all the costs. Nothing under $200. A front plate ticket is $40. Which one are you going to spend 20 - 30 minutes of your time on when the point is revenue generation? Maybe it isn't in Atlanta, but it sure is here.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
So true. If it really were about safety, the next step is more rigorous driver training and testing. They've spent absurd amounts of money making the roads inherently safer, and they've made us spend absurd amounts of money making the cars inherently safer. The only thing left to fix is the drivers, but they refuse. Too unpopular.

If it really is about public safety, they're going about it all wrong.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
^^^ That's the problem, though, Lance. Police have no direct control over driver safety; their only way to make a difference is through indirect means such as -- you guessed it -- trying to modify driver behavior by issuing tickets. Whether it works is subject to debate, but police officers can't change licensing requirements or force people to become better drivers. Sounds like you should be complaining about the DMV and the state legislature -- which I do quite often.
These groups SHOULD all be working together to make the roads safer, but they are not. The legislature won't pass something as unpopular as making it harder for people to get and keep their driver's licenses.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
We're on the same page. I don't blame the police for the poor approach, I know their job is to uphold the law no matter how illconceived it is. I vote, so I feel I have the right to complain (if you don't even bother to vote STFU and live with the product of your apathy!).

I also know policework is a thankless task, and I have friends who are police officers. The real problem with the way policing is done is rooted in managment. Regardless of all the arguments about quotas, the fact is, all officers are expected to "produce" something management can count to prove how effective they are. Sadly that metric ends up being tickets, and there is a premium placed on tickets with large fines. Still not the cop's problem but certainly a management problem. Until this changes, I'll be an unhappy camper. I beleive you called it paranoid.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Dec 7 2004, 10:36 AM
I got blue LED 194s, and they should just be normal, straight bulbs. In fact, I've never heard of 194s being angled, just headlight bulbs like H3s and H4s.

Blue will be illegal, of course...I dunno how much the cops in your area will care, but beware...
Blue is illegal but when you turn your headlights on you can barely notice it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.