Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talking with a few guys around the shop about headers and some told me it'll void my warranty on the car. Is this true? I haven't gotten a for sure answer from any. Don't know which warranty if any it will void. The dealership only told me about the intake being acceptable. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
oh and its header

yes it will void warranty and every header that is for our car right now is loud and can throw a check engine light, without the o2 simulator

who cares though, warranties are for the birds

·
Registered
73 Posts
ok so i had the same question as you so i went to the toyota dealer and talked to the guy that sold me the car....he told me that as long as the header doenst cause the problem then its ok...for example if the car breaks down they have to prove that it was the header that made the car break down. so thats what they told me...

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Technically that is true, however it is a Federal offense to remove a working catalytic converter from an automobile. Installing a header removes the cat. That's problem one. Problem two is, to run without getting a CEL you need to install an O2 simulator or use the anti-fouler mod for the second O2 sensor. It will take the mechanic about 10 seconds to blame your header if the engine blows up for any reason because he'll claim your mod defeated feedback systems the ECM uses to control the engine. It would not be easy to prove him wrong, and it might take a very long time.

From a practical perspective, it isn't a good idea to install a header if you can't afford to blow up your engine, even if your claim is accepted it will take a LONG time to get through all the hoops. You'll be without your car for that time. Can you afford that?

·
BOOST its what I do!
6,604 Posts
All i needed to know not getin a header any time soon ill void my waranty when i can afford the Turbo and by then yea the waranty will be gone lol i might just get the high flow s pipe in the mean time. then do ever thing else like springs and stuff. that will save me money in the long run i am guessing.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good things to know, I don't think I'll be getting one any time soon.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
well I am going to get one when they have a solid way of not throwing that CEL, but as of now I am sticking to electronic equipment and wheels before more performance mods are made

·
Registered
742 Posts
I guess I just don't care, used engines are cheap;)

Another thing I have seen done, not saying I endorse it, blow it up, put it back to stock, rub, spray, blow, some water, dust, etc, onto it so it looks unmolested, then take it in.

Rick

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Originally posted by raamaudio@Sep 5 2005, 12:06 PM

Another thing I have seen done, not saying I endorse it, blow it up, put it back to stock, rub, spray, blow, some water, dust, etc, onto it so it looks unmolested, then take it in.

Rick

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by raamaudio@Sep 5 2005, 12:06 PM

Rick
Cheap for you and me. Not necessarily so for the rest of the crowd. It depends on how long you can afford to be down, and how much it costs you personally to swap engines. Agreed, used engines are relatively cheap, but a lot of the people posting here are grousing about spending $100 on a service manual that will save thousands in the long run. A couple of grand for a used engine in good condition and installing it yourself is pretty cheap compared to having the dealer install a new engine at full retail, but it's still all relative...

·
Registered
11,881 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer+Sep 5 2005, 09:51 PM-->QUOTE (lo bux racer @ Sep 5 2005, 09:51 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-raamaudio
@Sep 5 2005, 12:06 PM
I guess I just don't care,  used engines are cheap;)

Another thing I have seen done, not saying I endorse it,  blow it up, put it back to stock,  rub, spray, blow, some water, dust, etc, onto it so it looks unmolested, then take it in.

Rick
Cheap for you and me. Not necessarily so for the rest of the crowd. It depends on how long you can afford to be down, and how much it costs you personally to swap engines. Agreed, used engines are relatively cheap, but a lot of the people posting here are grousing about spending $100 on a service manual that will save thousands in the long run. A couple of grand for a used engine in good condition and installing it yourself is pretty cheap compared to having the dealer install a new engine at full retail, but it's still all relative... [/b]
I've been looking for the tC service manual but haven't found it yet (i.e. only available on TIS)... also is this the same manual that describes some of the engineering decisions that Toyota made with designing our car?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
No, the New Car Features manual describes the car's engineering decisions and features. I think it's more worthwhile than the service manual for anyone wanting to modify the car.

Clickety click here for the details.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I thought there was a posting in the past couple of months about some aftermarket headers with maybe a high flow cat in them to replace the stock. If it exists, would that cause any warranty or engine problems?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Originally posted by goldenchild@Sep 2 2005, 09:04 PM
oh and its header

yes it will void warranty and every header that is for our car right now is loud and can throw a check engine light, without the o2 simulator

who cares though, warranties are for the birds
I heard check engine sign on newer cars will not pass emissions.. is that correct?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by MustangJolly@Sep 13 2005, 08:34 AM
I heard check engine sign on newer cars will not pass emissions.. is that correct?
Depends on the state. Some connect a scanner to your ECM and pull the codes for an emissions test. It's terribly inaccurate, but it works for the vast majority of cars with OBDII without having to spend a lot of money on exhaust gas analysis or dynos.

Check with your DMV (or DOT in PA if I remember right).

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer+Sep 26 2005, 01:38 AM-->QUOTE (lo bux racer @ Sep 26 2005, 01:38 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-MustangJolly
@Sep 13 2005, 08:34 AM
Depends on the state. Some connect a scanner to your ECM and pull the codes for an emissions test. It's terribly inaccurate, but it works for the vast majority of cars with OBDII without having to spend a lot of money on exhaust gas analysis or dynos.

Check with your DMV (or DOT in PA if I remember right). [/b]
Tennessee does this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.