Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I been lurking around here for a couple of weeks while doing research on the tC. I finally got one about 2 or 3 weeks ago and I love it! Im thinking about updating the head unit, I have an ipod so I had my eye on this bad boy Alpine CDA-9855 but considering the price of that beast plus the ipod hook up which is $99 more I could get something like http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1113953645844 or this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?sk...d=1108125505761.

I don't really plan on watching dvds in the car but price wise its worth looking at. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Kinda Jensen is copmany under Audiovox. If Audiovox doesnt speak for its self then just check them on the web.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just installed an Alpine CDA-9851 HU and a SIRIUS tuner from Crutchfield. I originally wanted to get the SIRIUS tuner ($284.57 delivered from mcgeorgeparts.com) for the stock HU. I decided to order the Alpine CDA-9851 from Crutchfield for $279.99 - $20 (I used a special offer code PA166) and then I placed a second order for a SIRIUS SIR-ALP1 (I reused the special offer code PA166 [it's $20 off $100 so I threw in a Crimp-on F Connector for 36 cents]) which cost $99.99 -$20 and a $50 rebate! My total was 289.98 for both!!! Installation was a breeze and the Alpine HU blows away the stock HU, plus I've gained a remote and another cubby hole.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Wicked, I would do some shopping around before you bought those HU from Best Buy you can find them a lot cheaper.

I like the Pioneer HU myself but they are a bit pricy.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
It seems to me it's wdely accepted that Jensen sucks. My first car HU was a Jensen, and it was a real POS. In-dash screens are pointless to me, so I would go with the Alpine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Originally posted by WICKED@Jun 19 2005, 09:06 PM
did you have to use any sort of mount kit?
Cruchfield supplies the mount kit and wiring harness.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
My roommate's girlfriend bought him the Alpine CDA-9855 and I like it alot but then again I've always been a fan of Alpine. He told me it only cost her about $250 though (eBay?). I could be a different model but it looks exactly the same.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just wanna say I saw the Alpine unit at best buy and i was really unimpressed with the quality and craftmenship. It looked and felt like it would fall apart after a months use and none of the ones they had on display would open. The guy told me they locked up after the first week they got there. Im more intersted in the pioneer ones now. Shame cause the design was cool but for the price the quality was no where near.

·
Registered
413 Posts
This all comes down to how much you enjoy your music and if it's worth the money to make it sound as close to as intended by the artist as possible. Anything worthy of that won't have a built-in amp and the only units Apline or Pioneer make like that will run you ~2,000. I definitely wouldn't consider Jensen high-end in the car audio market. That being said, I originally contemplated the 9855 and iPod hookup but I read too many bad reviews about changing and searching tracks being extremely slow so I just installed the Eclipse 8053 I already had which has an aux in and run the iPod through that. I have to control the tracks through the iPod but it's fast and the sound is near CD quality.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Jensen considers themselves high end but I consider them crap.

·
Registered
126 Posts
i always say that you shouldnt get anything you can buy at a best buy or a circuit city. If you wanna sound really good get an eclipse. You should learn about the pre-outs and compare. eclipse does like 8 volt preouts for every pre out. alpine and others do 8 volt pre outs too but they are 8 volt total not each. thats what you get with companys that go for quantity sold not quality.
personally the best sounding head units are eclipse one without an amp built in. You have to connect it to a 4 channel amp to power your speakers. it comes out very clean with very low thd. (total harmonic distortion)

pm me with any questions or whatever

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Looks like we ran into some issues. Please come back and try again later