Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wolo and I chased down his hatch rattle this morning by removing everything until the noise stopped. Well sort of. The noise never stopped. We held up at removing the glass, but everything else came off the hatch.

The root cause is two spot welds on the hatch frame that didn't fully penetrate. I can reproduce the noise by simply flexing the hatch frame. We also compared everything on his car to everything on my car, and there are no differences except the production dates. His is June 04, mine is September 04. Mine does not rattle the way his does using the same test.

I have no idea how Toyota will address this kind of problem. It is clearly a production flaw. The spot welds are done by a robotic machine on the chassis, but I am not sure if they use the same kind of machine for constructing the hatch. Because the hatch is relatively small, it might be done on a more specialized machine.

In any case, the real solution to the problem is to reweld the spots that failed only enough to make a noise. This is not the solution I was hoping to find, but it is what it is. There was nothing on the hatch to make noise (including the struts), and I could still make the noise Wolo was complaining about.

We tried a couple of adjustments to keep the hatch from being able to move so it makes noise, but I have little confidence this will be a long term fix. This is probably the conclusion Scion/Toyota arrived at, and why they don't have a TSB. They would need to identify all the affected VINs and offer to replace or repair the hatch. This would completely toast their profit margin on the vehicles, so they want to be sure they accurately identify all the affected cars and only fix the ones with the problem.

Sorry all, but this is what we concluded after a full morning's investigation.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Oh wow, this reallllly sucks. Sooo are we 100% sure that this is even gonna get fixed. I'd be mighty pissed if it has no way of getting fixed. I just drove back from the airport and i was annoyed by it sooo much. It shouldnt be too bad with the music though i guess.

·
Registered
5,651 Posts
Thanks to Lance for spending so much time with me and being so thorough. It was pretty disappointing to go through all that we did to realize there was no way we could fix it ourselves. Just to piss me off, the hatch rattled like a mofo this evening when I drove it around, basically laughing in my face.

As much as I wish I were wrong, I don't see Scion doing anything to fix this. I think they'll just hope people get tired of complaining and just get used to it. I would love to walk into the service department, explain in detail everything we did to troubleshoot the rattle and have them take it from there. I just don't see them taking the time that we did to try to fix the problem. Maybe I'm just pessimistic.

Regarding the wiring harness, I foamed the hell out of it, and it had nothing to do with my problem. The rattle I'm experiencing is coming from the hatch itself, near where the strut attaches to it. I should have had my digital camera with me to show what we looked at.

Frustrating, but thanks again Lance. You went well beyond the call of duty, and I appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Well I know my hatch rattle actually stopped I think that I rattled it stopped if you get what I mean...cause I don't hear it anymore even when everything is off, however my sunroof is starting to rattle a little bit.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I doubt it. I was thinking about that solution earlier tonight, but I fear it would just stretch the rivet (unless you used a real rivet, in which case the glass would have to come out, and then you might as well just spot weld it).

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I haven't used my login there in months. I don't even remember it. If you want to post a link here, rock and roll!

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, thanks Pliss!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Unfortunately the fix from corporate isn't any good. My tC already has over 26,000 miles since I practicaly live in it for work and the rattling started at about 8,000 miles. The dealership has had it more than 3 times now and I have now requested arbitration documentation. I am truly worried about the overall structural rigidity and integrity as well as my safety at this point. I am well aware of the TSB about the roof, yet there still seems to be nothing going on from Toyota about this that will be a complete solution. I love my car, yet I want it to be what I expect coming from Toyota Motor Corporation. The rep was able to duplicate the sound back in December and they promised a corporate rep would be out to personally fix it and it never happened. In fact, two weeks after they promised he would be there I called and reported to corporate about the issue. With the dealership's confirmation they assured me that this would happen sooner than later. With the final fix in place, three times in the shop for more than three days each time, there is no improvement.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So they claim to have fixed the problem, yet it persists, or they claim they will fix the problem and have not yet?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
What kind of rattle are you guys experiencing?? I get a tapping rattle, like someone is tapping metal really fast.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
I have a slight rattle inthe hatch area, but nothing to speak of...I have to pay close attention to notice it. Odd, since my tC must have been manufactured in late June or early July...

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.