1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
100 Posts
NO, no brake problems yet. I don't think the accident was completely caused by a "faulty" brake. Under the wet conditions of the road with a deer jumping out in front of them, any car has the potential to lose control. I just don't think everyone should get all worried about the TC having bad brakes.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
yeah, that thread and the pics were pretty scary, although I do think this was an isolated incident.

·
Registered
675 Posts
one thing to also keep in mind.. not to scare everyone.. but it's the truth.. the original tires, the bridgestone RE92's.. aren't that good in the wet.. you can read at www.tirerack.com under the model RE92's and reviews.. I kind of think that the ABS can only do so much, but it cannot invent traction! If the tires can't hold the road.. so much for ABS! I know tires are expensive, but it might be good for tC owners to replace them..(i'm personally going to get the Bridgestone RE950's) not only that, complain to Scion for putting such cheap tires on there in the first place!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Someone else just reported having this problem on the Scion Life tC forum (thread topic is "ABS Lock," started by "tektC." That's still only two, but I would expect Toyota to be all over this.

As was pointed out at Scion Life, there's nothing in the reports that implicates the ABS system as the source of the alleged problem.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Someone else just reported having this problem on the Scion Life tC forum (thread topic is "ABS Lock," started by "tektC." That's still only two, but I would expect Toyota to be all over this.

As was pointed out at Scion Life, there's nothing in the reports that implicates the ABS system as the source of the alleged problem.[/b]

That guy said he called Scion HQ. They told him they have received a complaint or two already and not to repair is car AT ALL. They are sending a regional rep to examine apparantely. Im anxiously awaiting the outcome.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Until I hear otherwise from a reputable source, my inclination is to assume driver error. There are LOTS of people out there who don't know how to drive...

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
man, that guy is trying to convince people he was only going forty? come on. you see what that car looks like? i pushed a 79 fiat spyder under the trailer of a semi on the freewway at 65 and it didnt look that bad. i dont buy his 40 mph, so it makes it difficult to buy that locking his rear brakes in a front wheel drive car caused him to jump off the road. besides, ive got pictures in my file cabinet of the crash tests on the xA and xB, and slamming into a wall at 45 didnt cause that much destruction. i chalk this up to driver error, but we'll see what scion says i suppose.
more realistic story? "dude, i lost control of my ride at 70 around a corner." but hey, freak things can happen. i just hope my tc hold up better than that at 40mph or the crash test ratings are going to come in at 3 stars, lower than the xa and xb. and that just doesnt make sense. hmmm.... sending these pictures off to my rep.

·
Registered
675 Posts
finally an OFFICIAL response.. I agree when I saw that.. I hit a bronco head on with my old CRX.. and there wasn't nearly as much damage as this and I was doing 45! I checked the avensis (same platform as the tC) and it's crash tests in europe and it's a 5 star vehicle.. So I wonder exactly what he was doing.. I think that the tires (RE 92's) which are not that great in wet (ask anyone who had them before) could've caused the accident.. think about it.. abs doesn't matter if you don't have traction. I feel sorry for the kid.. but it'll be interesting to hear an official response

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Dude was probably just going too fast and pumped his brakes...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts