Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today, I found it hard to shift my 5 speed tC into reverse. I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or something similar. Oh yeah, and yes I know how to drive stick, and YES my foot IS on the clutch!

·
Registered
675 Posts
best thing to do is to put it into first gear, and then try to get into reverse..

if that doesn't work.. get it back into first gear.. move the car slightly forward and then go into reverse.. should work..

seems that toyota manuals are a bit notchy on reverse.. i felt that when i was test driving them..

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Yup... my fiance's 5 speed does the same thing. I've noticed that when I put my automatic into reverse, it is kinda slow to respond...

·
Registered
793 Posts
Well, actually mine has done that but I didn't pay much attention to it (until reading this thread) b/c my old Mazda Protege used to do the same thing.

But yep, sciontc_mich's advise is the same as my own....put it into first and move forward just a hair, then it should go into reverse with no problems.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I haven't found any trouble putting my auto into reverse except when it was on a hill. It required a little force. My sister's 2002 Civic does the same thing, actually worst then the TC. I wondering if it's just the way new autos are made?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The newer auto trannys have a fail safe mode where fluid will not be transfered if it senses any sort of movement. So if you're on a hill... it may be harder to get your auto into reverse.

·
Registered
32 Posts
its just got a blocker type thing so you have to push hard to go into reverse so you don't go into reverse by accident while driving normally... or something like that is what I heard...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Originally posted by k_splay@Aug 13 2004, 11:38 AM
I've noticed it too.. I just drop the clutch in neutral, then try it again -- it always slides right into reverse!

-K
Most or all Manual transmission vehicles do this, don't force it, because that's not the problem. Just roll the car forward or backwards a little bit and it will slide right into gear.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yeah mine does this as well but I didn't pay to much attention because my last 3 hondas have done the same thing I just get of the clutch, then press it again and it slides into gear

·
Registered
34 Posts
Its been my expierence that all manual cars have this trouble every now and then, or maybe just every manual i've ever driven, if I had to guess I'd say its a gear problem, like they arn't lined up right or something... I say this cause letting my foot off the break in neutral and allowing the car to move even barly will always fix the problem.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My old mustang used to do this too, and so does my tC. Just double clutch it and it will go in. Let your foot off the clutch, press down on clutch again and it will go in.

·
Registered
52 Posts
My 91 Celica used to do this. Its a standard toyota thing. put it in first then reverse and it removes the thing that blocks it from going into R. If you notice it won't let you put it into reverse from 5th...
I was told its to prevent someone from putting the car into reverse while they are driving....

Honda doesn't have this in my wifes Civic.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Honda doesn't have this in my wifes Civic.[/b]
My fiencee's civic has the problem, my kia (thank god its gone) and my old tracker had the problem, my fathers old subaru and his new nissan truck have the problem, realy every manual car I've ever owned / driven has had the problem every now and then.

A quick google and you will find that its a comon thing and not realy a "problem" (nothing is broken or wrong) its just the way the clutch works.

·
Registered
130 Posts
damn no one mentioned why it does it.

reverse has no syncro's to match up the gears for ya. so yes there are times it may be a lil tough to get it in, and times it slides in easy.

like someone said, roll your car a bit forward or back, or pump the clutch in neutral and it should go in.

just about every manual car built now days has no syncro for reverse.

P.S. Off Topic. Wtf i swear my neighbor smokes weed, since i've kept my window open i smell it like all day and night.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts