Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im sure the answer is of course a resounding "NO" from the tC faithful around here but, have any of you had a problem starting your tC after its sat out in the cold for like 7-8 hours? If you live in a warm weather climate please disregard, and spare me the "OMG ITS 88 AND SUNNY HERE!!!ONEONE!!!" posts. thanks.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
T, I've thought I noticed that it does take a little longer than expected to start sometimes now that it's started to get cold. Nothing significant, but noticeable.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Basilisk, if you notice it start to get worse.....to the point where you have to stop cranking it and start over.......please PM me. WOLO.....sounds like you have had good luck so far, please post here if you start to experience any delays. Thanks for the prompt, concise answers guys
- t

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
T, I'll let you know if it develops into something more serious...I wouldn't bet on it, though, since it only gets below 40 about 2 months out of the year and I'm currently parking in a garage at night...

·
Registered
619 Posts
T, mine isnt as bad as yours sounds to be but when its cold it does take a little bit longer to start AND if i dont let the engine warm up enough to move the temp gauge at least a querter of the way up throttle responce sux. i'll keep you up dated if it get woarse.

·
Registered
44 Posts
T,
I've experienced one instance of hard starting. It was cold that morning (30s) and I turned the ignition twice and got nothing. On the third try I pumped the gas once quickly then turned the key and it started instantly.

I've had no problems since then, even on colder mornings in the 20s.

However, I do notice that there is a slight delay whenever I start whether morning or whether the engine is warm or not. In fact, I've noticed that there is a very slight delay of maybe 0.5 second at least, from the very first day that I got the car.

I'm wondering if the starter will have to be replaced before the 30k warranty period runs out. Or maybe there's a slight bug in the fuel/air mix that the computer spits out?

Anyone have any guesses as to why a brand new car should have this problem?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmmm looks like my problem is not isolated. I'll bet money this turns into something more serious at a later date. Im curious to see what the results of future responses are........very interesting indeed.

·
Registered
425 Posts
hey tcrazy, long time no talk. i just got back from work and the same thing happened to me. i cranked and it didnt start right away from the first crank. so i stopped and cranked again then it started up.

it was weird but i hope thats the only case...
and i am currently in framingham/marlborough, massachussetts, so the temperature was about 45 degrees when i left work, iirc.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
no problems starting, but my idle was rough and slower than usual last night and this morning. hmm.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Originally posted by C!ph3r@Dec 8 2004, 12:49 PM
T, mine isnt as bad as yours sounds to be but when its cold it does take a little bit longer to start AND if i dont let the engine warm up enough to move the temp gauge at least a querter of the way up throttle responce sux. i'll keep you up dated if it get woarse.
What you just described is normal for cars. =P

Edit: Come to think of it, the whole thing is pretty common.

·
Registered
675 Posts
hey tcrazy..
im in michigan.. has gotten down into the 20's quite regularly.. I usually put it into the on position for the gauges to do their sweep and then start.. have you tried that as well? My old civic would have to prime the fuel pump before it would start normally.. but since i've been waiting for the gauges to do their sweep haven't had a problem..

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Hmm... not that there is a lot of cold days or nights here in San Diego, but I have noticed a change in the way my car starts since the time when I first purchased it. Since I have no technical knowledge about this, I can only explain it to you by describing it. When I start my car, I do notice that I have to hold the key longer in order to get the car to start. I have also experienced at least once, I didn't pay much attention or keep count, that my car wouldn't start on the first time. I remember this because I had a similar problem with my saturn. Its interesting to hear that other people are having the same experiences...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I tried this 5 times and it didn't help one bit. I timed the delay and it ranges from about 1.0 second to 2.0 seconds (car's about 2 months old with just over 3000 miles). This is ridiculous. At this rate, the car won't start after 6 months. My wifes 1987 Toyota Corolla with 187,000 miles on it starts faster than my TC!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I had noticed that my car didnt start right away one day last week, I thought it might have been an error on my part (clutch not all the way to the floor) and it started right up on the second try. Its been between 30's to 40's for the past week. On some cold mornings I have noticed a slight delay in starting but didnt really pay that much attention bc I figured it was just the cold.
Now that's been brought up, I will check it out when while I'm out and keep you posted on anything weird Tcrazy.
This worries me now that it hasnt got really cold yet.

·
Registered
675 Posts
you know i was thinking.. are the majority of the cars that aren't starting right ones with manual tranmissions? bizzyliz made me think about the clutch switch that has to be pressed all the way down then it can start.. obviously..

but.. i had a problem with my brake light switch.. wasn't adjusted correctly at the factory.. now the lights come on right.. i was wondering why people were creeping up on me.. lights weren't on! they thought i was moving!

so if my switch wasn't adjusted, maybe the manual's are having a problem with the clutch switch?

edit: i have an automatic, and no switch.. be interested in knowing if others with automatics have had trouble starting or just manual tranny models..

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.