Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put in my order today for the H&R coilovers and Hotchkis front & rear antisway kit. Can't wait to get them put in; I'm going to have the rears at absolute minimum drop (0.75") and the fronts 0.25" down (1" drop). This should help quite a bit with my minor issues when driving around with two or three people and/or (their) stuff. Can't wait to see how the Hotchkis antisways help too! I'm thinking lowest setting up front and highest setting out back...

-Ed

EDIT: Here's the link to the final review thread!

·
Registered
116 Posts
How much research did you do on the sway's Ed? Trying to find out if there is really any big difference between them and the TRD’s.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Cheeky+Feb 1 2006, 02:19 PM-->QUOTE (Cheeky @ Feb 1 2006, 02:19 PM)
How much research did you do on the sway's Ed? Trying to find out if there is really any big difference between them and the TRD’s.[/b]
The TRD rear antisway is some 60-odd percent stiffer than stock. The Hotchkis ones are up to 68% stiffer for front and over 330% stiffer out back. There's two settings on the TRD rear and on the Hotchkis there's two settings for the front and three for the rear.

<!--QuoteBegin-ALaS
@Feb 1 2006, 04:18 PM
TRD's are sex. NiCE edd..how much did it cost you!?
I have no idea what you're talking about (TRDs?) Anyhow pre-labor this bit of shopping is coming out to ~$1350 for me after shipping. I'm going to have some minor brake work done at the same time I get this stuff put in (going to have Hastings Tire/Turbo People do the install for me, not my wretched dealer), so my car should feel fresh and tight when I am finished.

-Ed

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You would be foolish to put the sways at anything more than the inner most setting (softest) on both ends of the car. Mine are there and there is no problem with roll what-so-ever.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Feb 2 2006, 12:30 AM
You would be foolish to put the sways at anything more than the inner most setting (softest) on both ends of the car. Mine are there and there is no problem with roll what-so-ever.
That's what I wanted to know; thanks!

Wait, I thought the farthest setting in is stiffest and the setting most outward (closest to the tips) was the softest? Am I missing something here? Please clarify.

Thanks!

-Ed

·
Registered
271 Posts
Good luck with the install....

make sure that you dont drop it too low otherwise you'll have an issue with the end links.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by superchargedscion@Feb 2 2006, 03:39 PM
Good luck with the install....

make sure that you dont drop it too low otherwise you'll have an issue with the end links.
Are we reading?

I got these specific to go higher than my TRD springs that I have now, not lower.

And I'm not getting them installed by myself; Hastings Tire/Turbo People will be doing it.

-Ed

·
Registered
576 Posts
Awsome, post some pictures/reviews when you get everything done. I miss having a tight-ass suspention, my eclipse was on coilovers and could take a turn without giving an inch.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by EddNog@Feb 2 2006, 03:27 AM
Wait, I thought the farthest setting in is stiffest and the setting most outward (closest to the tips) was the softest?  Am I missing something here?  Please clarify.

Thanks!

-Ed
It's a torsion bar. The arms are levers. The longer the levers, the stiffer the performance because you have more leverage on the torsion bar.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Hm..I'm looking at the install instructions from Hotchkis and they are saying the outermost hole is the softest. Looks like Sport Compact Car agrees with those directions. Lance, am I correct in that you're saying the instructions are backwards?

Also, what's this crap I'm reading on ScionLife about the sways being too big and snapping end links?

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by simplespirit@Feb 15 2006, 02:54 AM
Hm..I'm looking at the install instructions from Hotchkis and they are saying the outermost hole is the softest. Looks like Sport Compact Car agrees with those directions. Lance, am I correct in that you're saying the instructions are backwards?

Also, what's this crap I'm reading on ScionLife about the sways being too big and snapping end links?
This is why I decided to let the issue go. I'm not sure how Lance's logic applies, as it seemed contrary to what I believe, and Sport Compact Car actually provides calculations that work in my favor, but I really didn't want to argue with Lance, since I don't feel I've any sort of leverage on tech issues.

-Ed

EDIT: Btw, I dropped my car off last night at Hastings Tire/Turbo People and today is the install date for the coilovers and antisways. According to the gentleman who works the gas pumps at the shop (shop closes at 5:30, but pumps run 'til 10:00 and I was there at 8:00), they will likely be done later today, so if we're all lucky I'll be able to pick the car up tonight and drive it tomorrow, then report back tomorrow night.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Originally posted by josh_trdsparks@Feb 15 2006, 07:44 AM
Please do because I want to know how the H&R's ride.
Sorry pal the car's not done 'til tomorrow afternoon, so I won't get it back 'til tomorrow night. I'll report back on this on Friday. So far they told me that with the height set for maximum height (minimum drop) it's got like 3" of wheel gap and looks like a truck, so I told them to set it to 1" wheel gap all around.

-Ed

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
good thing this thread is here. we cannot ask questions in the product review forum.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by inevitablegod@Feb 18 2006, 06:50 AM
good thing this thread is here. we cannot ask questions in the product review forum.
Oh shizzles; would it be a good idea at all to link this thread from the review one?

Let me do that...

-Ed

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.