Scion tC Forums banner

Gutting the Stock Muffler

4K views 24 replies 9 participants last post by  courier11sec 
#1 ·
Does anyone know what/have exerence with gutting the baffles from the stock muffler, and sewing it back up? I talked to my local muffler shop today, the guy was worried that it would be too thin to weald back together if he cut a "flap" the width of the muffler, peeled it back a little to gut the inside, and close it up again. He also didn't think the steel was thick enough to wield to, as in putting some strips of steel over the gaps left over from cutting the flat into the muffler.

I did this a long time ago to my 96 eclipse, and it sounded great, I wonder if it would sound good on the tC? I'm looking for a deeper sound than what these little 8 inch diameter mufflers are giving, and the size of our stock muffler might help. (Am i wrong)?

He reccomended I find a totaled tC and buy the muffler assembly to test out on first.

What you guys think? Dumb Idea?

See less See more
#2 ·
I'd do it.

#4 ·
Well thanks guys, but I was looking more for a word of advise from experience with such things, although your enthusiasm for my hackin up my muffler without a game plan is very noble.

#5 ·
Where is Lance?

#6 ·
Right? Or Lobux... "come oh learned one's, an underling requests your wisdom..."

#7 ·
lobux is lance

#9 ·
really think about this, why in the world are you going to spend time and money on doing something like that? you can get that ebay fireball exhaust for the cost of doing this, it fits, it works, can always go back to stock. I mean if you had to trade it in and someone sees that or when you go to sell it they are going to be like WTF. thats my .02

#11 ·
Originally posted by goldenchild@Jun 5 2005, 06:26 AM
well the reason for him doing this is because he wants it to look like stock, he does not want the coffee can look
Exactly. I want to keep the car looking sleeper, but with a nice deep exhaust note. When I had my camaro, I had a k&N muffler on it, sounded like sh*t. My experence might be skewed, but when I sold the K&N and got a hooker muffler system, which was essentially 3 feet wide and a foot deep by 8 inched tall, the sound was sweet, extremely deep. Im assuming because the exhaust had a bigger chamber to echo around in, yada yada yada. All these fart cans are small, I don't see how they can be deep sounding. There are only one or two out that I like the sound of, and none of them look stock.

#12 ·
Originally posted by hamster@Jun 4 2005, 02:05 AM
Where is Lance?
I've been moving. I have a network of computers so, I can't just plug in a box and get what I want. It took a little time to get even cobbled together. I still have LOTS of unpacking to do.

FWIW, you aren't going to get a V-8 sound from a four. Even if you stuck two 2AZs together at 90 degrees to make a V-8, it would be a small one at 4.8 liters. We just don't generate a lot of low frequency sound to start with, so you're going to need to do something that will end up being pretty heavy to sonically amplify the low frequencies and knock out the high frequencies.

I doubt you are going to get the deep tone you are looking for by emptying the stock can. Not only that, but there could be unexpected negative effects because the muffler will slow down the exhaust flow. That does for sure increase the infamous backpressure.

#13 ·
Why would gutting the muffler increase the backpressure? Wouldn't removing the baffles inside reduce the restriction of the flow? the exhaust pipe enters the muffler from the engine on the back right of the muffler, and the exit, without any baffles inside, would only be inches away since the exit pipe exits the muffler on the right side....

I know you can't get that deep of a tone from a 4 cyl., but there has to ba a way to tune it down some from the fart cans...

What would you recomend? Just biting the bullet and getting the borla or whatever is the deepest of the systems out now?

#14 ·
Any time you increase the volume in the system the flow slows down. Slower flow means more back pressure. That's why there's a plenum on the intake: the air flows through the piping to the plenum where it slows down and the pressure increases because the flow is slowed. The pressure increase is good when it's on the intake valve, but a pressure increase in the exhaust is bad. You want the exhaust flow to be rapid and you want it to retain as much energy as it can so it gets to atmosphere as quickly as possible. Higher speed=lower pressure, which also means a greater pressure differential in the cylinder which also means more power. It just goes on and on. Airflow management is fundamental to building a powerful engine.

When you remove the baffles and leave a big empty can, you just create a big plenum on the exhaust. That's exactly the opposite of what you want to do. It's no different than gutting a catalytic converter. To do it right, you need to run a pipe through the remaining housing to keep exhaust velocity high. You'd want to do something similar with your muffler, except running a straight pipe won't give you the sound you want. So you have to decide between sound and power. As it always has been.

#15 ·
so thats what that huge plastic thing is hooked up to the intake for!

#16 ·
When you remove the baffles and leave a big empty can, you just create a big plenum on the exhaust[/b]
this is why a "header" is better than an "exhaust manifold" an exhaust manifold has more of a plenum like lance is talking about witht the muffler. if you want a low cost solution to ur exhaust go to a reputable muffler shop and buy a borla or dynomaz, etc and have them fab up an exhaust for you.

#17 ·
AH.

Gottcha. Makes complete sense. Damn. And I thought I had something there.

Oh well.

#19 ·
Got any recordings of a four cylinder with this muffler?

#21 ·
I'm looking for a sound clip. All of the guys that had linked them up used We-Todd-Did, so of course now the links are busted.

To the other guy, the XL is for the large case. Inlet/outlets don't change.

Here's the SpinTech Sportsman I had on my Sol...

No sound clips, though. I don't have that kind of equipment. I initally got the idea of it from down at the circle track-- you'll see many, many guys in Pro-4s running SpinTechs, and they sounded aweseom on the 2300s, so I figured, why not? Superb muffler. They're all hand-built to order, good welds, awesome performance, great sound... you just have to get around the fact that it looks like a cracker box. It's all about function, anyway. I'll manage to get a sound clip from one of the Sol guys.

#22 ·
I've always thought it pretty funny how the circle track guys do some really cool, very cost effective stuff, and the import "community" poo poos it as some kind of "domestic" thing. Nice piece!

As I've said before, I really don't care how it looks if it works. What's the material? It looks like steel, but obviously doesn't have to be...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.