Scion tC Forums banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@May 11 2005, 07:08 PM
Nope, it was a sheet of mesh 12x36", slightly curved with 2 "hinges" that are supposed to be attached to the outer side of the gutter. HD is selling them by piece, Lowes was supposed to sell them in bulk, but they had a box open and sold me one for $2. I planned to do a lower grill with it, but never did, so I took it back and got my $2 back
That's odd, the only mesh that I found was like 5 feet in length and 2 feet wide. I looked through roofing and gutters and only found that roll and the big sheet.

·
Registered
120 Posts
here's mine:

I might paint the AC hoses too, to blend in with the grill also.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Nice. Btw, I did not paint the hoses, just used black electric tape. Was supposed to be a temporary solution, but you know how it goes...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey Zoltiz, gave the gutter gaurd another shot lastnight. What a difference when you actually know what your doing. From the first snap to me stepping back to admire my work, it took about half an hour. Used another peice of gutter gaurd from the pack. It was a lot easier to use. (first peice must have been a bad peice) I'm still not sure if I am perfectly o.k. with the looks of it. From atleast 10 feet away it looks really clean, but when you get up close the bootom is having a problem. How did you get the bottom peice so flush against the frame. I cut slits in the mesh for thos pieces sticking out at the bottom of the frame. that worked out well for the leftside but the rightside is still gapping away from the frame. Let me know what you did to get it flush.
Also have you had a problem with the grille staying in place? And has anyone figured out hoe to do the lower bumper without having to remove the whole bumper? Thanx for all the help. I will try to post pictures of the end product tonight, once i find a free place to host them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
oh yeah, almost forgot. I think I want to keep it chrome and put the scion emblem back on. The chrome seems to show alot less of the innards of the car, it also blinds on a sunny day.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
When I had my first take on the grill - that's what I did - cut the holes for silver protruding pieces on the bottom of the chrome frame. Next time I was a little smarter and just bent the gutterguard on the bottom and used couple of extra screws to attach the mesh to the silver spikes. This way the grill is nice and "3D" in the bottom and you have some extra mesh to play with if you get a gap.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
sorry zolitiz im not feelin that.

·
Registered
74 Posts
hey guys, i got pics of my first attempt. the first couple are night pics right after I finished excuse the dirtyness of the car, its pollen season in CT. The last two are today after i washed it. I'm pleased with the results. Going to try it again and work out the kinks this weekend. Can't wait 'till the bottom grille is done. Anyone figure that out yet.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Not bad for $2 gutterguard, eh?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was having the same problem as BigRK, as far as the bottom of the mesh goes. That gap is killing me, but i'm going to try what Z said and screw into the silver tabs.

·
Registered
264 Posts
wow, i thot that gutter guard looked familiar! i found it for 50 cents at my home depot, except i was using it to fence off this space around my chimney which a squirrel ran into and then "got caught" in. i think he ran in because there was this earthquake and after that i didn't hear him spazzing out and flailing around the chimney with his claws. thats when i shut the thing closed with the gutter guard. haha.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts