Scion tC Forums banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
holy crap I would buy one of those from you like that...it looks sweet!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz@May 3 2005, 07:32 PM
There is a zoomed in link at the bottom of the page - you can kinda see the texture. Gutter guard is a gutter guard.
Ah, sorry. Didn't see the link at the bottom

Anyway, is the pattern "squares" or "diamonds"? and do I just ask for gutter guard?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
you have one sexy car

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Originally posted by chipmOnk+May 4 2005, 12:48 AM-->QUOTE (chipmOnk @ May 4 2005, 12:48 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-zoltiz
@May 3 2005, 07:32 PM
There is a zoomed in link at the bottom of the page - you can kinda see the texture. Gutter guard is a gutter guard.

Anyway, is the pattern "squares" or "diamonds"? and do I just ask for gutter guard?
[/b]
It's more like squished hexagons. And yes, ask for gutterguards - they will be somewhere around roofing section. Took me 30 minutes in the store to find the damn things (I did not actually know what I was looking for - so I started at fencing, then duct covers, and finally accidentally ran into these little things. They come in 12x36 size, made of aluminum and are relatively easy to work with. Buy gloves, btw - my hands are all cut up from sharp edges.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Originally posted by zoltiz+May 4 2005, 05:28 AM-->QUOTE (zoltiz @ May 4 2005, 05:28 AM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 4 2005, 12:48 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-zoltiz
@May 3 2005, 07:32 PM

It's more like squished hexagons. And yes, ask for gutterguards - they will be somewhere around roofing section. Took me 30 minutes in the store to find the damn things (I did not actually know what I was looking for - so I started at fencing, then duct covers, and finally accidentally ran into these little things. They come in 12x36 size, made of aluminum and are relatively easy to work with. Buy gloves, btw - my hands are all cut up from sharp edges. [/b]
Haha, I looked at fencing and duct covers as well.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hey guys! New to the site. This is the first thing I wanted to do to my tC when I bought it (hate that palstic honey comb of a grille). Just wondering, did you have to remove the bumper to remove the grille and install the mesh? Did you need wire cutters to cut the mesh? also how long did it take. I've had my tC for about three months now and every day I have been on ebay looking for a descent aftermarket mesh grill to set off my bsp. I'm not feelin' the billet grilles and everyone else seems to be selling chicken wire for 13 bucks a sheet plus shipping.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Welcome to the site!

I did not take the bumper off - just popped off 5 clips that hold the top of the bumper and that allowed decent access to the grill. The whole procedure took me about 30-40 minutes, and I used household scissors and dremel. I also had to drill couple of holes to secure the bottom part of the mesh.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Bottom grill stays stock for me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
bought my gutter gaurd from home depot today. came in a six pack for $2.90. problem is its curved. did you guys have the same problem i bought a mallot to pound it flat. Also looks to thick to cut with standard siccors, although i haven't tried it yet. after i install it i'll post some pics. Thanks for all the help guys, saved me like 250$. this is by far the coolest website in the history of the world.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
After you screw the "uncut" gutterguard to the silver frame cut the extra stuff around (just leave a lot on the bottom), then start making it nice and round with your hands - gutterguard is aluminum and is relatively soft. It's pretty easy to make it "3D" instead of just flat piece. Just have some patience and care.

·
Registered
74 Posts
need quick help!!!! Having trouble popping the stock grille out. I removed six screws. 4 on top 2 on sides. Are there nore screws on bottom i can't see. the whole top and sides of the grille are out but i can't get the bottom detached. PLEASE HURRY!!! IT IS ALMOST 10:30 P.M. MY TIME AND I DON'T WANT TO DRIVE A HALF LOOSENED GRILLE TO WORK TOMORROW. Thanx.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
No screws on the bottom. It's not very intuitive - just start from the side and try to get it off. It's held by melted parts of the bumper. No idea what it's called.

·
Registered
74 Posts
thanx Zoltiz I got the grille off, but fabricating the new grille has been next to impossible. For some reason i think the mesh I got my be a thicker quality. I broke a pair of steel sissors on it. and bending it is a task as well. gave up on it tonight. may try again tomorrow. My mom liked the idea and offered to by me the grille craft grille for my birtday, but i don't know if i can rationalize spending all that money when i may be able to customize one for less than 5 bucks. would rather use that money on something better like tints or springs. Props to all yall who have done this mod cuz it aint a peice of cake. Anyway thanx for the quick response

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
BIGRK, I guess you did run into a weird gutterguard. Mine was aluminum and relatively easy to bend. And it was sold by piece. Sorry it's been so tough for you. Now that you have some experience you might want to try finding a softer gutterguard

Frostbyte, I did paint the grill, and blacked out some of the AC piping inside to make it stand out less through the grill.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
You might try some tinsnips BIGRK. They're pretty much heavy duty scissors. They may work better for you.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Nope, it was a sheet of mesh 12x36", slightly curved with 2 "hinges" that are supposed to be attached to the outer side of the gutter. HD is selling them by piece, Lowes was supposed to sell them in bulk, but they had a box open and sold me one for $2. I planned to do a lower grill with it, but never did, so I took it back and got my $2 back

21 - 40 of 56 Posts