Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, fellow members it is true. After seeing the SEMA pictures it appears as if our car is the next civic. The hideous body kits, fart can mufflers....sixteen-tier wings and outrageous paintjobs and graphics have all made their debut on the TC at SEMA.

I was hoping that our cars would be different, that the rice-crew wouldnt want to bother with the tC....but i should have seen it comming. It does have all the makings of the new KING-O-RICE mobile!! Low price, decent body lines from the factory, and marketed towards the "young and hip".....the tC's future was dictated before the first one rolled off the factory line in Japan.

Soon you will start to see generic tC accesories at AutoZone and PepBoys. Sometimes on the highway, you will have a ricer-fly-by done to you.......by the local ricer with the tC that looks like it could take off from a runway at any moment. If you have small children, WATCH OUT!!! <---- i saw some bumpers at SEMA that could swallow a small child!!

Please, everyone join together. Dont let this site become a haven for ricers....discourage fart cans and 4-tier wings with widebody carbon fiber kits and super-duper-awesome vinyl graphics. All of these things together will degrade the reputation of the tC....and will eventually degrade the repuatation of its drivers (just like what happend with the civic). Flame on!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
409 Posts
every car has the so called "ricer" ish, its just whatever you like, a lot of stuff at SEMA are show, like most of the stuff is ridiculous they are just showing off their skills, but just look at it this way, the more riced out TCs there are the better yours will look =)

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Man, rice is something we cannot and will not ever avoid. Unfortunately, rice gets you looks... and that is what most people strive for. This is the sad truth folks. There is nothing we can do but avoid it ourselves. I'm not surprised about the rice, but just remember, that the sema show is what it is... a SHOW. That is only a small cross section of the tCs out there, so keep your hopes up guys. I don't think this will get too ugly.

Man, what do you have to drive to avoid rice? A Buick??

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Wolo@Nov 8 2004, 06:28 PM
I don't care what other people do. If they want to be ridiculous, then have at it.
you will care when your insurance goes up. Once the tC has saturated the market, driven by 19 year olds who think they can race every car on earth and win. More crashes and other accidents will be associated with the tC and therefore the cost o insure it will go up.

·
Registered
614 Posts
the xA and xB have had the same things done to them. i'm not surprised at all that it happed to the tC too. it's just what happens these days. i mean there are mustangs and expeditions with altezza lights. they're not even japanese cars and people are doing that stuff to them. and the camaros and mustangs with spinners is just as bad. i agree with wolo, if they want to be ridiculous, then whatever. i just look at those cars and laugh and then look at mine and see it as even nicer.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I drove mustangs all my life, this is my first non-mustang vehicle (besides an Explorer as my first car). Im still a HUGE mustang fan, got to drive the 2005 prototype when it first came out.......when i see a mustang with alteezas or spinners it makes me angry. Dont these people know that it doesnt look good?? do they know that the whole world is laughing at them>>??? i dont understand how rice continues to be a trend, ive never personally met , or come across anyone who likes big wings and fart pipes!!!!!!.

·
Registered
614 Posts
modifying cars is a type of art. you have to have a sense for design. you use that design sense to create the vision of what you want your car to look like and how you want it to perform. then you begin. one of the most important things besides all of that is you need to know how much is too much. when i was designing my corolla, i did things to it little by little. i'm not ashamed to admit that there were times when i did a mod and then i realized i had gone too far, so i backtracked. but i think that more than half of the problem is that people don't have a sense for design. i mean everyone has different opinions about what looks good but, for example, it is universally laughed upon to have spinners and altezzas on a mustang, yet people still do it like crazy. just like not everyone can draw well, not everyone can mod their car well either. not everyone has the mind for it. that's my take on the whole situation.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I can't remember exactly which one I liked but there were one or two bodykits at SEMA that I thought looked pretty good. I don't like the Honda farting sound but I've heard clips of a Magnaflow system that sounded pretty mean and the TRD exhaust does have a nice low growl.

I agree with what Kwiksilver said about having some taste and knowing when to stop. 'Rice' is in the eye of the beholder and everyone has differing opinions. I've seen people cut down someone for putting tinted overlays on their tail lights and these same people are talking about how cool their new muffler tip extension is.

·
Registered
409 Posts
lol the best altezza stories i have to share are, VW Beetle the tail lights were alteza.... 2 circle altezas hahaha.... next is a civic/integra couldnt tell which, with the altezzas but with a trunk to match (ie one of those lexus trunks that have the 2 lights on the sides haha.... man ppl are =)

·
Registered
614 Posts
a few months ago i saw a honda but i can't remember what model it was. it was either a civic or accord or integra. i just remember it was a honda. anyway, the car color was flat yellow paint that has that non shiny look like it was from a spray can, because it most likely was. not only that but the back was remolded in order to house the 1999-2004 mustang tail lights. that was one of the most insulting, and at the same time hilarious, things i have ever seen done to a car. horrible, just horrible.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Does altezza's scream asian? I thought they originated from Europe, aka, Euro Lights. So whats wrong with domestic cars with altezza's?

I think you guys are used to seeing Honda's with Altezza's than an American brand... correct me if I'm wrong about the Euroness.

·
Registered
10 Posts
do i need to point out the fact that scions were made monospec for that reason. so you could decide what you wanted to do with yours. whether its rice or not, its part of the concept that scion is. personalize. And to really think that the tC would avoid all rice is just ignorant. not to bash on anyone just voicing my opinion.

·
Registered
614 Posts
yeah, silverx, they are european. but they have been used so much on imports that they automatically scream import now. most people associate them with the toyota altezza, which is japanese, hence the name "altezzas". the lexus is 200 is the european version of of the is 300 and the altezza, so if people thought of them as european they would probably call them is 200s instead of altezzas.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think most ricers will stick with Honda long enough that we should be OK for a while. Monospec or not, tC's look great directly from the dealership. I don't think of my car as a blank canvas. Most of the tC owner pics i've seen here are very elegant. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this car does not need aggressive lines and loud graphics to make a statement. I think this is why most of the body kits that we see images of are 'poo pood' by the tC owners here. In most cases they do very little to improve the appearance of the car and in most cases, they just emulate stuff that has been done to civics. Most of the mods for this car that will sell well will be performance or comfort based. It's difficult to improve the looks of something as elegant as the tC, but I'd sure take a supercharger and some leather.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
YAY RICE!! uh no, I dont think the tC will be as riced out as the hondas are, for a cpl reasons. One they are brand new, it will take some time to get it to market and into ricers hands. Two, its a heavy car. Three, its a hatchback. Four, its got a torquey engine. IMHO

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
By the time tC becomes mainstream ricemobile and my insurance goes up (and it will), I'll be selling the tC and getting a Volta, or a BMW of some sort...

And yes, TCrazy, I agree with you on every point here... We need to start a site-wide campaign against rice! Though I think we've been doing pretty good so far explaining new people that putting gaudy bodykits does not make their cars faster. So let's keep it up.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts