Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed my system and the grounding cable that came with it was too short and so I made a longer one like was about a foot.

I have recently noticed that when I turn off the car the speakers pop like there is still power in them and they pop and then they are off...is this because my grounding cable is longer than necessary? Thanks

Matt

P.S. and by speakers I mean subs not the door speakers

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
how did you make a longer one? was it the same gauge? check your remote wire. Where is it hooked up to? also check your RCAs and the grounding point.

·
Registered
730 Posts
As a rule of thumb, it should be no more that 18" long. Length should be OK, but double check to make sure you have a good solid ground. Here are some pointers. Be sure it is at least the same guage as the power wire. Make absolute sure that you removed any paint on the surface that you grounded it to and use star washers for a good solid connection. Never use a seat bolt (or other threaded bolt) for your ground. Poor grounds can cause all kinds of nightmares, including what you are describing in this thread. Hope this helps. Good luck and let us know if you solve your problem.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK well right now I have it grounded to a seat bolt and I couldn't find another place to ground it to without drilling a hole, do you know of a better place to ground it in the trunk?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah there are some but sweet lord they have loc-tite on them and they are bolted to the frame and me and a couple of guys tried everything to get those off and plus for the cord being 18" or shorter there is no way its going to reach down there.

On the amp, it comes on but should the protected light be on also????

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, am I wrong to ground the amp with a 4 gauge wire and power the amp with 8 gauge wire? Cause I called in town and they said that, that would be the problem.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If I remember correctly, I grounded mine to a shock bolt in the trunk. Just use a big wrench and it will come loose.

I don't think that having a larger guage wire grounding the amp would be an issue. I think it is your grounding point or your connector that is giving you your problem. Make sure your crimp-on connector is "crimped-on".

late

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.