Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I ground my amp by running another ground cable from the back of the trunk to the engine chassis ground or the battery ground?

I am still having trouble with my subs popping and it annoys me tons...so if this will work let me know, thanks.

Matt

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello? Well anyway I have seen it done so if no one knows then I am just going to give it a whirl.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I don't see how a poor amp ground will casue an audible difference (unless there is no ground). There is nothing wrong with what you want to do (connecting two ground points), but it only makes sense in very high-powered systems. The chassis of the a vehicle is equivalent to about a 4 ga wire (believe it or not). If your system is drawing so much current it requires power wires larger than 4 ga, connecting the two ground points will increase current flow (return to the Batt). There is as much current flowing through the ground wire as there is the power.
I would suspect that if to do this and the problem goes away it's more of a case that you have ground than it would be "better ground". There should be no problem finding a ground point in the rear of the car. I had no problems with my system. If your amp is grounding through the signal cables (because there is no power ground) it would make the amp very unhappy.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
basically what I am getting it is that every time that I turn off my car, even when the cd player is off the subwoofers pop when I turn off my car.. I don't understand it at all, and besides the strut bolt I am not sure where to ground it that would be a good ground.

·
Registered
7 Posts
What kind of deck are u using? Is it stock? are u using RCA converters?Is power wire and RCA wire ran on oppisite sides of the car? where do you have your turn on wire tagged at? get back with some info so i can see if i can figure you problem?

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Uh I have the stock deck installed, the RCAs are stinger and so is the turn on wire from the stock deck, i might just have to get the drill out and make a better ground once I find it that is.

·
Registered
252 Posts
The entire chassis is the return for the electrical components. Make sure that you look before you drill!
My amplifiers are connected to the OEM deck and I have no strange noises. The amps I use are designed to mute it's outputs first as part of the turn on/off sequence. This is to eliminate these pops.
If you are using an LOC lose it if you can...most of them are a$$. If your amp can handle high level inputs, it's much better to utilize this feature.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have an Phoenix Gold Octane-R 4-Channel amp its a brand new model would it now have soft turn on and off?

·
Registered
730 Posts

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, so what you are saying is that the kit that I got offline the turn on lead is bad and I need to redo it because its bad? I understand that there is another plug but I cannot visualize it....ok I just took out my deck and looked at the back and I cannot see anything like to what extent you are talking about.

I ordered the factory harness kit off of ebay and it allowed me to hookup my subs...and I wanted to know so that turn off/on wire is no good? Thanks

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Alpman@Mar 2 2005, 10:10 AM
There is an empty pin on the factory radio harness. This is the remote turn-on output from the factory deck. Connecting your aftermarket amp turn-on lead to this wire should eliminate the turn-on/off pops. Check out these posts for more info:

http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/index.ph...&hl=remote+wire

http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/index.ph...=2650&hl=remote

Hope this helps.
Yeah I read all of those posts and I have the male and female harness. Not to tell you what I really have in my car.

Currently, I have a 4 gauge power wire running from the battery to the inline fuse, then out comes a 8 gauge wire ran all the way back to the amp.

Secondly, the remote turn on wire is speaker wire that i took off of some inexpensive other wire that I had in my room.

I am grounding my amp with 8 gauge wire. I just don't know whats going on...is it my battery hookup because I tested my ground and its good and clean compared to other points on the chassis. It still pops!

Is is because I have two different gauges on the power wire or is it because I Have speaker wire for a remote turn on? Although the speaker wire should work because I took it out and plugged it back in and there was no pops after I kept un hooking and a re-hooking it back up.

Still puzzled.................

·
Registered
730 Posts
At this point I dont think it has anything to do w/ your amp power/gnd wires. It is prolly signal related. I'll check tomorrow w/ one of my accounts who is also a Phoenix dealer to see if he thinks it may be a bad amp or if there is anything special about it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.