Scion tC Forums banner

Grinding Noise after car fell on Rotor

23K views 26 replies 11 participants last post by  MsDontKnowItAll 
#1 ·
So my tC had a flat this morning, my fiance and his friend put it on the jack to change it, well the jack BROKE and MY CAR LANDED ON THE ROTOR!!! :angry: After we got the spare on there was a grinding noise, then after they put on the new tire it was still grinding. :unsure: Any suggestions as to what it would be? The rotor doesn't seem to have any visible damage...anything suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
Holy crap! Glad noone was under there when that happened. Might have flattened a bearing, bent the rotor, calipers could be scraping.. ect. I would tow it to a shop or take apart that entire assembly and check it all out.

#3 ·
QUOTE (Vask @ Oct 3 2009, 02:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=496519
Holy crap! Glad noone was under there when that happened. Might have flattened a bearing, bent the rotor, calipers could be scraping.. ect. I would tow it to a shop or take apart that entire assembly and check it all out.[/b]

Thanks, we will look into that! Just discovered that my rocker molding is cracked! 

I'll post a pic of the car on the ground soon!

#8 ·
If there was no tampering or anything with the OEM jack... I would take it to the dealer and see what they can do for you. Dont forget the jack though.

That scares the #### out of me. I was just under my car the other day with it being supported by that thing. I could have died!

#9 ·
QUOTE (AKtC @ Oct 3 2009, 07:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=496549
If there was no tampering or anything with the OEM jack... I would take it to the dealer and see what they can do for you. Dont forget the jack though.

That scares the #### out of me. I was just under my car the other day with it being supported by that thing. I could have died![/b]

I know what you mean! My fiance and his friend had just pulled the tire off when it fell! It was a scary thing! And that was the first time I've ever had to use my jack! Please be careful if you're ever under a car supported by a jack!

#10 ·
Its the dust shield behind the rotor no big deal. Get it back up in the air and pry it back a little bit and the sound will go away. Your Welcome.

Also the Jack isnt covered under warranty and they will probably try and charge you for it. Just make a stink about it and you should get a new one for free. As for the sound its nothing at all.

#11 ·
QUOTE (AKtC @ Oct 3 2009, 10:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=496549

That scares the #### out of me. I was just under my car the other day with it being supported by that thing. I could have died![/b]

NEVER get under your car with only a jack holding it up!!!!! Regardless of the type of jack. Get some jack stands! We dont want to hear about you ending up with your car on top of you.

#12 ·
QUOTE (bluesciontc @ Oct 3 2009, 07:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=496554
Its the dust shield behind the rotor no big deal. Get it back up in the air and pry it back a little bit and the sound will go away. Your Welcome.

Also the Jack isnt covered under warranty and they will probably try and charge you for it. Just make a stink about it and you should get a new one for free. As for the sound its nothing at all.[/b]

You sir, are correct! It took most of the impact so it was bent over the rotor, but some friends took a hammer to it and pushed it back off where it should be! Thanks so much! :D

#14 ·
QUOTE (tc_rockstar @ Oct 3 2009, 08:47 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=496560
QUOTE (bluesciontc @ Oct 3 2009, 07:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=496554

Also the Jack isnt covered under warranty and they will probably try and charge you for it. Just make a stink about it and you should get a new one for free. As for the sound its nothing at all.[/b]

You sir, are correct! It took most of the impact so it was bent over the rotor, but some friends took a hammer to it and pushed it back off where it should be! Thanks so much! :D
[/b][/quote]

No problem ;)

#16 ·
QUOTE (engifineer @ Oct 3 2009, 08:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=496555
QUOTE (AKtC @ Oct 3 2009, 10:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=496549

NEVER get under your car with only a jack holding it up!!!!! Regardless of the type of jack. Get some jack stands! We dont want to hear about you ending up with your car on top of you.
[/b][/quote]

But if you have a flat tire, what other option do you have?

EDIT: On the road, that is.

#19 ·
Yeah... I normally DO use jackstands. But I had to crawl under the car to grab some sh!t that got stuck up in my undercarriage. I know the consequences... but I didnt want to run back and get jack stands.

#21 ·
QUOTE (bluesciontc @ Oct 4 2009, 07:38 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=496643
My friends father was killed by the car falling off of a scissor jack on to him.[/b]

My fiancés uncle had a car fall in him, he lived, but he won't be doing that anymore! We figured it would be okay since no one was actually going under it... And look what happen. Three huge gentlemen were kind enough to lift my car up, with the helpnof my fiancé and friend while I pushed the flat rim under the rocker pannel until we could figure something else out!

#24 ·
I have a hyrdo jack AND a set of 2 jack stands AND a set of wheel chalks in the back at all time. Even if I don't need them in an emergency, they're easy to find when I need them at any time. :yes:

#25 ·
QUOTE (lucidspoon @ Oct 5 2009, 08:41 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=496865
I have a hyrdo jack AND a set of 2 jack stands AND a set of wheel chalks in the back at all time. Even if I don't need them in an emergency, they're easy to find when I need them at any time. :yes:[/b]
In an emergency NEVER get under the car without at the very least the jack up and the tire you just took off under the side of the car so it falls on the tire and doesn't completely crush you dead.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.