Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey every1 well I was looking thru some forums and I found one that was talking about how when ever they shifted from 1st to 2nd w/ a twm short shifter it would grind the gear, and he was talking about how it kind of felt like there was a wall there, and I used to have a 98 mustang that had a short shifter on it and it did the exact same thing so I was wondering if this is just normal when putting an SS on or was there something wrong w/ the car?

·
Registered
172 Posts
or perhaps something wrong with his install... i've got a TWM in mine and can't remember the last time i ground a gear.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The grinding from 1st to 2nd is a known issue with the tC and most cars that i know of. It only does it early in the morning when the car is cold because the Tranny fluid hasnt warmed up enough to lube the gears.

I just recently installed the TWM SS Stage 2 (love it) and the issue has gotten better but didn't get rid of the problem. Some people have actually switched to Synthetic Tranny Fluid Redline MT-90, i think. I havent switched just yet but am considering it.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
When I switch my Stage 2 TWM SS 1-2 i just get a loud CLA CLUNK sound like its hitting a metal wall.. No idea what it is, but it might have done it with the stock shifter as well. It is just louder now ..haha. Thats what I think atleast. anyone else have this?

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
yeah, my twm makes more noise than when it was stock. i have missed a gear on shift, but have no grinding issues. i filled up with redline mt-90 when i did my flywheel swap, but before that i was on conventional factory gear oil, even with my ss, and noticed no increase in grinding.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by ALaS@Dec 19 2005, 06:31 PM
When I switch my Stage 2 TWM SS 1-2 i just get a loud CLA CLUNK sound like its hitting a metal wall.. No idea what it is, but it might have done it with the stock shifter as well. It is just louder now ..haha. Thats what I think atleast. anyone else have this?
My TRD does the same thing. It's not unusual for a cable operated shift to make more noise with a short throw shifter installed.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Originally posted by EddieMoney@Jan 6 2006, 09:22 AM
I used to do that ^^It has gone away though now that im at 10,000 miles; it more has to do with getting used to the shifter position and reach i think.
I honestly think that it's my own driver error. But it's good to know that it will go away. I've got over 5,000 miles on mine and I hate making stupid rookie mistakes like that.

·
Registered
868 Posts
It is and it isn't a known problem. I took my tC to the dealer after like the 3rd/4th time it sounded like it was grinding from 1st to 2nd early in the morning. Luckily, they reproduced the problem right away, and just ordered a new transmission. I love how they won't even trouble shoot it, they just order a new one.

Whatever. <3 the warranty.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Dealerships do major unit replacements. They don't do overhauls, even if you'd like them to. They'll replace a short block, but not replace a bad piston or bearing. They'll replace a transmission, but not fix a bad synchro. It isn't cost effective for them to fix internal breaks.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
My friend had a 2002 celica with a TWM short shifter and it never ground gears. it was really a awsome shortshifter. He loved it. and it was fun to drive the few times i drove it. i think it could be the install

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Originally posted by mikeyb3d+Jan 6 2006, 10:53 AM-->QUOTE (mikeyb3d @ Jan 6 2006, 10:53 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-EddieMoney
@Jan 6 2006, 09:22 AM
I used to do that ^^It has gone away though now that im at 10,000 miles; it more has to do with getting used to the shifter position and reach i think.
I honestly think that it's my own driver error. But it's good to know that it will go away. I've got over 5,000 miles on mine and I hate making stupid rookie mistakes like that. [/b]
It probably is. When I learned to work the clutch pedal quicker (only working it to the disengagement point between gears, not flooring it every shift), there were a few times where I did this as well, so then I concentrated on making my 2-3 and 4-5 hand movements faster and I got so quick at that now that I never ever grind gears.

-Ed

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Originally posted by EddieMoney@Jan 6 2006, 09:22 AM
This is also partially true; my car used to grind 1-2 after I first got the short throw but nowadays it never does it anymore.

-Ed

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You know you've got it down when you can upshift without the clutch. The right application of throttle and shifter will let the gearbox slide right into the next gear. It isn't easy, but it comes with time. It's also NOT RECOMMENDED for long synchro life. It does however work marvelously on motorcycles without any damage what-so-ever.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Jan 9 2006, 05:20 PM
You know you've got it down when you can upshift without the clutch.  The right application of throttle and shifter will let the gearbox slide right into the next gear.  It isn't easy, but it comes with time.  It's also NOT RECOMMENDED for long synchro life.  It does however work marvelously on motorcycles without any damage what-so-ever.
That synchro wear is the primary reason why I haven't tried it more than a couple times, but I am able to shift now without a full clutch engagement, fairly smoothly, so I'm pretty sure my rev matching is getting quite there. I am seriously considering a flywheel swap if it would make my shifting even smoother (and I think it would). At the least it would provide me with more accurate rev matching ability. Actually my 1-2 shift is very good on the boil with no momentary loss of acceleration, but I'm still not that good when doing my 2-3. Curiously I can pull this off doing my 4-5. I am not sure on my 3-4. One thing I've made huge strides on the past few weeks is my downshifting though.

-Ed

·
Registered
172 Posts
the only times i can shift like that are by accident, heh. it's usually when i apply throttle as i'm shifting, and i barely have to touch the clutch and it pops into place... but it's not done purely.

i'd love to practice it, just not on my car.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.