Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read through these forums for a bit, and everyone mentions these air filters seperately... but I'm curious to know if anyone is recommended more so than others?

Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Whne I used to drive a Z3, I had all sorts of links. The upshot was that the K&N and Green were pretty much equivalent. Someone driving a Z3 did some backyard type experiments that showed that the Green was better filtering of smaller particles than the K&N, so I went with it. No complaints about it. Of course, the K&N folks would disagree.

Upshot is that those two are pretty well known, so I doubt you would go wrong with them. The TRD filer is probably just as good given the source!

Cheers!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll probably head to my Toyota dealership tomorrow or something and get the TRD air filter... only because I don't want to void any warranties. I just have this belief that K&N has always made a superior product, but I suppose that you're right about the TRD filter, they wouldn't make a "cheap" product by any means.

Speaking of which, I spoke to the TRD Service person at my dealership and he informed me that if find products from K&N and AEM (non-TRD) that they can install them, thus not voiding the warranty on the car. However, they obviously don't warranty the part. He said the best bet is to stay TRD all the way... but that may get a little expensive, IMO. However, I guess that's the pro/con of it all... spend a little bit more money to keep all warranties, etc.

Ok, I'll stop my rambling... LOL. Sorry.

But again, thanks for all your input!

Sincerely,
AJ

·
Registered
936 Posts
K&N has a dirty little secret they dont tell anyone about. If anyone can come up with what that secret is, you get bonus points. - t

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm.... well I've heard that they aren't necessarily the cleanest filters when it comes to filtering stuff out. Is this what you are speaking of?

Please let me know...

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
If you will be looking for K&N/Green/TRD filter - don't necessarily ask for tC filter - 03+ Corolla/Matrix filter is the same part number.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for that advice... I'm still curious what this "little dity secret" is. Furthermore, as brought up earlier... TRD has to make a pretty good product that's competitive to similar products... right?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Originally posted by TCrazy@Nov 1 2004, 07:09 PM
K&N has a dirty little secret they dont tell anyone about. If anyone can come up with what that secret is, you get bonus points. - t
ah hell, I'll guess on this one, they make the trd airfilters
the bonus points!!!!!

x

·
Registered
936 Posts
haha I still chuckle at my play on words in the above post. Anyways, research has proven that K&N filters let way way waaaaay more dirt in an engine than a normal cotton filter. GOOGLE it if you disagree. The 1hp benefit is definitley not worth the long-term affects of much dirt. I used to use a K&N on my Mustang, blew the motor (brand new car). Im not accusing K&N of being the problem.....but you cant argue with the independant testing. -t

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
75,000 miles with a K&N filter in my 1999 Corolla, and nothing even approaching an engine problem.

·
Registered
32 Posts
has anyone noticed any noticable difference in engine performance with one of those filters. Just curious, because I'm thinking about getting one.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i have the TRD drop-in, and it gives the motor a little more growl. grr.

what do you guys know about the "mushroom" style filters, the kind blitz are famous for. i've read that those unoiled filters offer better protection because you don't run the risk of bringing oily dirt into the engine with an oiled filter.

i mean, blitz intakes are pretty popular, so i can't see them being too destructive. i was thinking about pulling a blitz copy off of ebay and working something out like zoltiz did

thoughts?

·
Registered
372 Posts
I would not do it unless you can get it to suck air from the wheel well. Otherwise, you'll be sucking hot engine air in and loose much of the potential!!

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Yeah, and you get to clean the MAF wires when the engine starts acting up. Supra owners figured that out a LONG time ago. The oil (and dirt) stick to the sensor wire and corrupt the calibration.

You're on your own if you over oil the thing...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sounds like you really don't like oiled filters. I've had a K&N filter on a 1999 Tacoma for three years w/ no problems whatsoever. Even prior to putting on the K&N there was still dirt build up on the MAF so regular maintenance should be done irregardless. I used to check the sensor whenever I did a yearly belt/hose check and never had a problem.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I like oiled filters just fine on a MAP engine, just not a MAF engine. If you had dirt on your MAF, something wasn't right. Mine's 11 years old and still as clean as the day it left the factory, but I've also never decided I needed a high flow filter for my Supra. The filter isn't where the restriction is in that engine.

When you say check the sensor, I assume you mean a visual inspection? Did you ever data log against it to see if it was providing expected flow numbers?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Dec 7 2004, 07:40 PM
I like oiled filters just fine on a MAP engine, just not a MAF engine. If you had dirt on your MAF, something wasn't right. Mine's 11 years old and still as clean as the day it left the factory, but I've also never decided I needed a high flow filter for my Supra. The filter isn't where the restriction is in that engine.

When you say check the sensor, I assume you mean a visual inspection? Did you ever data log against it to see if it was providing expected flow numbers?
Well it's been a while but here is basically how it went...

Bought the truck used (about 13 months old I think) but took it to mechanic before purchasing. We popped the hood and was amazed at how dirty the engine compartment was, esp. since it was only a year old. Replaced the existing filter on the already installed CAI w/ a K&N and cleaned the sensor which had a film of dust on it. Since it was a company truck I have to admit that it went through some abuse and went on many off roading trips. After approx. 10-12 months I remembered to check the sensor and it was relatively clean.

The company I worked for ended up selling the truck before having to take it in for servicing (yeah I know
) so it never went in for servicing. Never did a data log on the MAF but it ran like a champ for the three years that I drove it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts