Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found out that NHTSA (natn'l highway transportation admin, aka "the GOVERNMENT") is starting an investigation into the tC's sunroof.. They have received enough complaints of the sunroof shattering on its own at highway speeds. And this means nothing hitting it other than the pressure of 65 mph+ air. Here is the clip from NHTSA.GOV

Just thought I'd let everyone know about this and that the wind deflector is shattering when nothing has hit it except air. The owner's manual also says something about closing the sunroof if you go over 45-50mph. I believe what it actually says is at highway speeds dont open the roof the last 2" in order to stop "wind throbbing". Until a fix happens, everyone should probably keep it closed at highway speeds.. just to be safe..

here's the clip

NHTSA Action Number : PE05021 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A
Make : TOYOTA Model: SCION TC
Manufacturer : TOYOTA MOTOR NORTH AMERICA, INC. Year : 2005
Component : VISIBILITY:SUN ROOF ASSEMBLY
Date Investigation Opened : April 28, 2005
Date Investigation Closed : Open
Summary:
THE TOYOTA SCION TC MOON ROOF ASSEMBLY INCLUDES A GLASS WIND DEFLECTOR AT THE FORWARD EDGE THAT PIVOTS UPWARD WHEN THE ROOF PANEL IS RETRACTED. CONSUMERS HAVE COMPLAINED THAT AT HIGHWAY SPEEDS, THE WIND DEFLECTOR MAY SHATTER WITHOUT WARNING. CATASTROPHIC BREAKAGE OF THE WIND DEFLECTOR MAY STARTLE THE DRIVER AND THE GLASS FRAGMENTS FALL ONTO THE DRIVER. A PRELIMINARY EVALUATION HAS BEEN OPENED.

Go to this link and search for it. It is listed under Toyota --> Scion TC
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems...efectsearch.cfm

The deflector itself is said to cost $600-800 to replace. It seems to move down under pressure rather easily. The faster you drive the more it moves down. At at about 95mph it's almost flat. There have also been complaints of the actual moonroof being a little more flimsy than most as well. It is very flexible. Windsheild glass is safety glass so it is meant to shater easiy, but a moonroof and it's deflector should be laminated glass and much more difficult to break. These glass panels unlike other cars sun roofs dont have a rubber edging around it's perimeter. The edge of tempered glass is the weakest point.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
welcome... and thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
189 Posts
i drive on the freeway all the time with the roof open. you gotta do that in so cal. should i be expecting shattered glass on my face anytime soon?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried. Apparently, there have only been three complaints, one of which resulted in an 'Injury Incident."

But thanks for the heads-up, fromos and welcome to the site!

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
If the wind deflector shattered at 80mph, how would you, without extremely exhaustive forensics, know it wasn't an object striking the deflector. There would be no way to tell just from looking at it. Make sense? Besides, the owners manual says don't drive with the moonroof open at highway speeds.

·
Registered
272 Posts
does it say dont drive with the roof open at all? or just not open the last 2" ??

thats BS if we cant open our roofs at highway speeds! i can understand it not being safe to take above 75 or 80 but no more than 50??

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
The following was just emailed to me:
I have no information to indicate there is a real NHTSA recall.  That link you provided says no document found.  Personally, I've heard of a  couple of these being broken after a rock impacted the wind deflector, but  that's about all.  I love the part about "shattering" without  warning.  Very rarely does a rock actually yell out, "hey watch out, I'm  coming at you!"

In 20/20 hindsight,...maybe using lexan or a plexiglass would have been  less breakable,...but c'mon you gotta admit the glass roof is pretty cool. 

If you get customers coming in you might want to have your service manager  running it past your DSPM (Service & Parts rep)  I've covered one as a  goodwill gesture, and it was supposed to be explained to the customer that,  "hey, it was a rock, its technically road hazard so its on you and your  insurance company, but we're Scion, you're one of ours so as a one time goodwill  gesture, we'll take care of it."

If you have more of these, have one of your MDT technicians do what we call a product report.[/b]

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just picked up my new tC last night and took it out on the expressway with the roof all of the way back, and both windows open at 100mph and didn't notice any problems.
I did wonder why the roof stopped 2" from the back and then make you hit retract again to get it fully back.
Ken --)--------

·
Registered
372 Posts
Thanks for the post, but I don't think it is something one should be too concerned with unless they meet an errant rock or two. And that, my friends, is the price of driving a fish bowl of sorts!

NHTSA is talking about the wind deflector, which unless subjected to a lot or torsion, won't break unless hit. In the world of manufacturing, it is possible that a piece or more were dropped or stressed when installed. This would make them more prone to breakage.

The glass roof is more flexible. The weight of it and the way it is mounted account for that. I don't think it is a big deal unless, once again, it has been stressed in some way during installation and shipping. Glass is funny that way.

Also, the discussion does not discuss under exactly what conditions the car was at when the panel broke. Was it committing some high speed manuever where the glass was under strain (like scurves)? Did someone pound the glass prior to it shattering (like Pyrex shattering in an oven).

Lastly, the reason the sunroof does not open all the way is to prevent the occupants from getting beaten by the wind. I get a decent thrumming when just my windows are down all the way. Even my Pacifica cautions from lowering all the windows as it will cause buffeting.

Thanks for the good post. I am not beating on you at all!
But I do think more needs to be said before we can tell people not to drive with their s/r's open at highway speeds.

I have had mine open at all speeds with no complaints except for the papers inside getting sucked out.

·
Registered
197 Posts
after breakin period and all, I've sped in my car like it's nothing. I know it's not really good or whatever, but I really don't give a crap.

I regularly do 60-ish in 45's, with both windows and moonroof all the way open. I can't stand that 2 inch gap thing because it creates a really annoying low hum above 55 with the wind, so I always open it all the way. I've also driven on the highway, doing usually 75-80 or more on occasion, with the sunroof open (although that's rare. The noise bothers me some, but mostly all the wind flying around the car picking up paper and blowing it around bothers me) and I've never had such a problem...

I'm moderately sure this issue will be concluded with "something actually struck with windshield."

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
my moonroof is open regularly at "freeway speeds" and i have no reason to suspect it will fail. 15K miles so far, and i roll windows down and moonroof open all the time. out of all the tC's that have been sold nationwide in the last year, 3 have had an issue? i gotta believe they are isolated events with outside circumstances.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Didn't say in the car manual not to drive with hte monroof open over 45 mph? Mine is been rattling for like 2 months now and im too lazy to go to the dealer i cant leave my baby there for more then a just oil change. I have to drive it all the time.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.