Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we get closer to March, I get closer to ordering time!!!
I got a breakdown of options/taxes/title etc. prices the other day from my salesman and I have a few questions. Do I really NEED the VIN etching? It would save me $160 to take it off. I'm getting a leather package and a clear bra, so doesn't it make sense to take off the $495 Paint and Fabric protection? What exactly does Paint and Fabric protection cover? Last one...anyone know what dealer fees are? I hope it's not just wash and wax, I can do that myself (probably better than them) and save $289.

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
wtf is vin etching?

if you are getting leather and clear bra ditch the p&f protection. paint and fabric protection is like stotch guard on fabric, armor all on the dash and UV protection on the paint. wax your car. if you like a glossy, greasy dash armor all it yourself. and if you are getting leather, buy some leather stuff from Wilson's or some shoe store.

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
What is VIN etching?

VIN etching involves the use of a stencil and glass etching paste to etch your car’s vehicle identification number onto its windshield and windows. This makes your car less attractive to thieves. Why? Because it means that thieves will have to replace the glass (at considerable cost) before they can sell the stolen vehicle. Similarly, auto parts buyers will not want to buy parts that have identification numbers.[/b]
huh. um. alright. i guess VIN etching seems to be an alright idea.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
If you actually look at the tC, the VIN is ALL OVER. I saw 2 of the vin right under the hood, and a couple in the trunk as well. It's labeled a LOT.

Don't waste your money on the etching.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I didn't pay for anything that I didn't have to. Dealer fees and that's it.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yea, I know I can't avoid dealer fees dealing with paper work; but I'll save almost $700 by ditching the VIN etching and Paint and Fabric protection. I'm 99% sure that the leather package comes with a lifetime warrantee. I haven't seen anything in writing, but I'll be sure to before I order. I've found out from a friend who is a Jeep tech that the VIN etching is similar to a sticker from a very expensive machine. He can write any fun message he wants and permanently adhere it to a window. Imagine the possibilities....

·
Registered
17 Posts
save money and buy the accessories at sparkstoyota.com i did and i saved close to 400 bucks. most of them are easy to put on.

·
Premium Member
16,847 Posts

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Originally posted by nY1018+Feb 6 2006, 06:38 PM-->QUOTE (nY1018 @ Feb 6 2006, 06:38 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-kurker
@Feb 6 2006, 03:36 PM
Get the vin etching if it will save you money on insurance.
where have i heard that before.....
[/b]
I figured I would second your opinion.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK - I'll call State Farm tomorrow and ask them about a quote for insurance and about how much VIN etching saves. I'm curious as to if my friend who has access to the machine could hook me up.

As for options, I'm not sure if you've read my other threads, but I'm going with side air bags and fogs. Everything else is purchased from trdsparks.com or somewhere like that and installed by me.

Thanks for your help, guys!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.