Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was at Dunkin Doughnuts picking up my large iced (regular cream, 4 sweet&low) when i came out, a group of guys was around my car. So i figure, no biggie.....just curioustiy, and I was right for the most part. The kids were very cool, until this one kid showed up and was NOT impressed at all with the tC. He went around my car telling me what should have been changed etc..... which is fine, "to each their own". The problems started when he told his friend my motor sucked because its built by Chevy and is also in the Cavailier.............................WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Him and I had a serioulsy heated discussion for about 10 minutes, as he proceded to tell me the tC is based off the Cavalier chasis (hello Avenisis?????) and that Chevy makes most Toyotas now.

After realizing he was just being ignorant, I gave up trying to pursuade him and just shook hands with the other kids (who LOVED the car) and just took off. Man.....that was frustrating!

Oh and just to make sure this is a valid topic for "tC talk"......have you guys heard anything about Chevy having ANYTHING to do with the tC or Toyota???? -T

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Chevy makes NO Toyotas. Thank god for that.

·
Registered
197 Posts
toyota's completely independent of chevy now...if you go back a few years the corolla and a few geo's were similar. I mean, the prism and corolla were the same car for a few years, built in the same factory and everything (toyota had morning shift, geo afternoon/night). Since, toyota owns all their own north american factories, which doesn't matter because the tC is completely built in and of japanese parts. I'd seriously of slapped that kid. That's just me, though...

·
Registered
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea he was asking for it......even his friends were like "dude your obvisouly not right here, the kid owns the friggin car" . But he had a Civic and obvsiouly just wanted to start trouble out of his own ignorance. I told him how our cars are built in Japan on the same line as the ES300 but he was just being a punk........argh he got my blood boiling!

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
No Toyota was EVER made by Chevy, even when the two companies had a "relationship" in the 80s and 90s. Toyota was the one who was making cars for Chevy, under the Geo mark. Chevy was trying to get into the small car market and was worried that it wouldn't be successful without some help...

Anyway, that kid's an idiot and I would've wanted to slug him for calling your beautiful tC a Chevy... =P

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Yeah, what a dis. Wow, don't you hate people like that? I remember I got in an arguement with a MECHANIC none the less over the fact that he insisted that the did not make the Eagle Talon in AWD. When I showed him my car as proof, he said it was custom done and didn't come from the factory that way. I wanted to kill him... I guess thats why he was only allowed to do oil changes...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
hahahah. I think the kid had some confusion b/c of toyota's earlier collaborations with chevy. It's common practice to have import and domestic car share platforms, most modern example is the toyota matrix and the pontiac vibe, they're essentially the same car. Also back in the day Dodge Raider was made by mitsubishi, and even though it had the dodge emblems, the key had the mitsubishi emblem on it! (my friend had one) Also, since the big three domestic makers have been buying a ton of import car companies, ie Ford, which owns jaguar, aston martin, volvo, mazda, etc, they've been sharing parts and platforms galore. The new chrysler crossfire is built on the SLK platform, I could go on and on. So it's not even worth arguing with some dumbass kid about what he obviously doesnt know, but thinks he does. And just like everyone else, i'm definitely glad, this car has nothing to do with chevys.

Although that geo metro is some hot ride......

·
Registered
187 Posts
Originally posted by JZA70@Aug 16 2004, 08:12 PM
Actually, the Scion tC IS based on the Chevy Cavalier.
Also, the blocks and heads are both manufactured by Chevy.

Just kidding
That definitely scared me for a second....until i got to the end of it.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
You're just lucky I don't know where you live..

·
Registered
24 Posts
And what facts did that kid based his arguments on? I hate when people try to pull facts from their behinds.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Chevy Cavalier...No way!!! I rented a car (Cavalier) for a few days before my tC came in, I was not impressed.
Not eeevan close!!!

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Sorry to Chevy owners, but Chevys just suck compared to Toyotas, at least in terms of reliability.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
reliability, style, performance, refinement, resale value, the list goes on and on. Toyota rocks! This is related to the small car market, mind you, not including the vettes and vipers, camaros and mustangs, which can kick ass.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Originally posted by basilisk4@Aug 17 2004, 08:51 AM
Sorry to Chevy owners, but Chevys just suck compared to Toyotas, at least in terms of reliability.
I couldn't agree more. My dad has an 03 impala and that thing is the biggest POS. Its already had two control arms, ball joint, starter, and something else get recalled. LOL... Chevy's SUCK cause no one cares about the US anymore.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts