Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I were looking at the Infinity G35 and one of the things we liked about the coupe was the gold Brembo brakes. So, she wanted me to paint them for her. I'll find out how much she liked them when we go to bed tonight...

Puttin paper around the rotor. I tried to use tape, but it wouldn't stick. I found cramming the paper into tight areas held it best.

I crammed smaller pieces over the pad and clips to keep the paint off.

I had trouble getting an even coat. I was outside and there was a breeze...so, if I held the can away for even coverage, I got blowback on the car. But when I moved the can closer, it dripped from being too close. Oh well.

I installed mud flaps while the coats of paint dried. I put 3 or 4 coats on. I still had the paper over the pad and clips, so you can't see them because of the gold paint on the paper...sorry, I forgot to take the paper out.

back caliper looked better...more even paint.

With wheel on.

This picture wouldn't load all the way, but you can see the caliper. I painted it a couple years ago. I wanted to but "SCIONTC" with scion in white letters and tc red, but the wheels don't let you see enough of the caliper and there wasn't a whole lot of room to put letters.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to say that on the picture with the wheel on, the gold looks dark. Its a lot like the flint mica. It sparkles in the sunlight.

·
Registered
409 Posts
i was wondering if you got paint on the rotor or any other part, could that cause and damage? I'm thinking about painting my calipers on my superwhite but knowing me ill get paint on more than just the caliper =) so is that bad/

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
i like it. The last pic is too huge for this page though. The caliper looks great in gold. Thanks for all the pics!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I painted the RSX, I got a lot of paint on the rotor. I just let the pads scrape it off. I found that tucking the newspaper around the pad area kept it off the rotor completely. You'll notice a little paint on the front rotor. That was when I was trying to use tape to keep the paper in place...didn't work to well.

·
Registered
425 Posts
the best way to paint a caliper is to have it completely off the car IMO, but you could do it this way too. if you accidentally get some paint on the rotor, it should not cause any problems. the surface that the brake pads make contact with will rub it off for sure, but anywhere else you will have to lightly sand to get the paint off or use a little bit of paint thinner

...and don't you just LOVE supra brakes?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I tried paint thinner...no luck. Sandpaper would work, but I'm sure the little bit I got on will come off with the pads. Painting with a brush would be good and once again...the sooner you do this, the cleaner your calipers are...

·
Registered
187 Posts
How long did it take you to do all four?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It took about 2 1/2 hours...but I also installed mudflaps. A lot of that time was jacking up the car, taking off wheels, putting in the newspaper, putting wheels back on, etc. It was getting hot and I was getting tired...so, a younger guy could probably do them in 2 hours or so.

·
Registered
999 Posts
You could've sprayed alot of paint into a cup. Therefore you could've just brushed on the paint than spraying it.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Sorry man, i just dont like it. Reminds me of the Hoopties with the gold rims in the ghetto for some reason. Just my $.02

·
Registered
583 Posts
what kind of paint did you use? i wanna paint mine once i get it. and overall, how difficult would you say it was? 1-10?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I understand if you don't like the color...but black (flint mica) and gold are a good combo in my opinion. Probably wouldn't go gold if the car weren't black. I used 500 degree engine block paint...3 or 4 bucks at your local auto parts store. You can spray or spray in the lid and brush it on. Difficulty? Can you take off the wheel? You're pretty much done. Stuff newspaper where you don't want it to go, or brush it on. And one more time...if you drive the car a lot before you paint, then you will need to clean the caliper with a degreaser, like simple Green.
Good luck...

·
Registered
583 Posts
awesomeness!

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
How do you think red calipers would look on a flint mica tC?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts