Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the process of doing some underhood painting. Just recieved my Doc I radiator cover so while that's drying, I'm thinking 'hey, lets take that ugly piece of metal off and make it black.'

So I get all the bolts undone and unplug the O2 sensor so I can slide it through the little hole on the bottom...but there's still a threaded bolt coming up throughthe bottom of it, about 3/4 of an inch higher than i can lift the shield...and there's the non-cable part of the O2 sensor coming out of the hole towards the bottom.

So for those of you that have taken the shield off before...how in the bloody hell did ya do it

· Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the plan
If I ever decide to spring for headers, ill probably leave'em stock shiny.

There's 4 bolts.

1 2
3 4

2, for me, is just a nut with a washer on it. A nice bolt coming up through the plate that it threads onto, so I can't just lift the plate off, because it catches on the sensor on the bottom by the 4 bolt. I've got a theory though that the 2 bolt kinda sorta broke, so that the threading remains but the original top of the bolt is gone. I'm gonna take some pliers to it to see if it twists.

· Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here's some pictures of the damned thing..

I've never seen anything like that. It's tight on there and I didn't try too hard with the pliers since I didn't wanna de-thread the thing. I wonder if i should just cut it

· Registered
204 Posts
Maybe you can dremel a little slot towards the edge of the heatshield and then just pull it away...if you do it correctly you will still have enough material to clamp it back down in the future if you want to put it back on.

· Registered
4,643 Posts
Torx E7 socket should help taking that stud out. I had to order the socket when I was playing with different headers.

· Registered
1,091 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
will try that too

Btw, got the plate today. gracias sir ^^ Decided with a nice shiny black to match the shield. Might switch toa color to match the IIP later but for now, black is win.

edit: plate vs shield makes no sense!

· Registered
4,643 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Isotope@Jan 26 2006, 11:40 PM
I just unscrewed the stud-- it was only finger-tight. If yours is on there good, just grab the very end with some vise grips and give a little twist.
This approach can damage the stud. I'm all for the "right tool for the job"...

· Registered
105 Posts
heyyy, sweet.. ive been wanting to do this too... I didnt know they wanted to keep the heat shield on so badly .ahahaha..

but yeah. ALSO, what kind of paint are you using? I assume since its called a HEAT shield, it gets that thing.. whats its called.. oh yeah, HEAT. so what kind of paint is best? I hear krylon makes a HIGH temp paint for like 2000 degree or some ####, for like stoves, radiators and others. But I only bought the reg. krylon.

good read indeed

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
I took the O2 sensor out, and the shield lifted off with no issues.

There's no reason you couldn't replace that stud with a bolt of the right length.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.