Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what kind of gas (octane) are you guys using?

87,89,91? (depends in diff states)

which gas station brand?

is it true, 91 (premium one) seems to have a little bit more meters/mileage than 87?

no question about power at 87 vs 91. 91 roXX!!!

but hmm, which one is better to use for engine reasons, preformance, efficiency, and engine maintenance? ($ reasons not acceptable)

ty

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Unless a motor is specifically tuned to take advantage of it, putting any higher octane fuel than the acceptable minimum does nothing but waste money. Lower octane fuels produce more power than higher octane ratings-- high octane does nothing but retard detonation. The fuel actually burns slower. Running 91 in a car made to run 87 will hurt you, power-wise. You will see no benefits.

So which is best? The minimum octane rating that does not result in detonation. Which for all of us is the lowest ocatne you can buy: friendly old 87. In my first 10 tanks of gas, I've seen no appreciable difference in performance or economy, and I've bought fuel from at least 7 different locations, perhaps 5 different brands.

And I still won't buy ARCO, ever since a tank of it gave the lawn mower the stutters.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Sweet. I've been using 89's, but I'm gonna go for 87 from now on since that's the minimum and since there's no gain in going for anything higher. This should make my killer gas expenses a little lower

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
whats wrong with arco?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Originally posted by hamster@May 1 2005, 11:21 PM
whats wrong with arco?
Ask yourself: what corner do they have to cut to sell gas 10 cents cheaper than everyone else? And don't tell me they make it up in volume and chili dogs.

Plus, that whole incident with the lawn mower. I had to open the air cleaner box and shove a rag in there to stop the damn thing from dieseling.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
i've used it in all my past cars and haven't had any problems.... and in the few tanks i've had so far on my tC... i've had mobile, arco, and shell... i haven't noticed a difference between the 3

is there something specifically i should look for?

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. Isotope@May 1 2005, 11:24 PM
Ask yourself: what corner do they have to cut to sell gas 10 cents cheaper than everyone else?
They don't have or take any credit cards(that's worth 3-6% alone), they charge you $0.35 to use the ATM function, and they use a minimum additive package.

ALL gasoline comes from the SAME base stock. The only difference is the additive package. Chevron and Shell spend a lot of money developing their additive packages, and Techroline ain't cheap. Tosco actually controls the base stock for all the retail gasoline in California, so if you got a bad batch, it would have had to start with them.

Does it mean Arco's fuel is any worse than any other? No. Your lawnmower incident could have been caused by many things specific to the station you used and their underground tanks. It didn't necessarily have anything to do with the fuel they dumped into those tanks.

I've run Arco for many years without issues. Just don't forget, you're paying an extra 3-4 cents a gallon for your tC if you use an ATM card.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
If you put 10 gallons of gas in the car and you pay a 35 cent transaction fee for the ATM, then you've paid an extra 3.5 cents per gallon for your gas. If you pay cash, you get what you paid for.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
They don't take regular VISA or Mastercard at the Arco stations here, or at least they haven't. Recently I've seen real credit cards accepted at some of the stations sporting the new BP signage as well as ARCO signage.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
The credit card company charges the merchant. Anywhere from 3% to 5% of the transaction. AMEX is at the high end and Visa/MC are at the low end which is part of why they are more commonly accepted than AMEX.

If you don't take credit cards at all, you save all the transaction fees and your internal processing costs. It's all cash.

·
Registered
109 Posts
ohh, yea thats lame. I use my atm/debit/credit card and select credit when getting gas. I dont get charged any extra transaction fee.

the one thing you should watch out for is that some gas stations put a hold on your account before you pump the gas to make sure they get your money. Sometimes up to like 75 dollars, that hold doesnt always go away very quickly.

Linkage

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by TeK@Jul 15 2005, 06:16 AM
ohh, yea thats lame. I use my atm/debit/credit card and select credit when getting gas. I dont get charged any extra transaction fee.
Yes you do, but you don't see a separate charge for it. All prices reflect the cost of doing credit card business. I've seen places that give discounts for cash. Most places don't, they just keep the difference when you pay with cash. I also know businesses that don't take any kind of plastic at all. They are the only ones not charging you for credit card transactions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Back to octane ratings.. So putting premium (91 ocatane) into my stock TC will not only not help anything, but it may actually hurt it? (horsepower wise..)

If this is the case, why do you need to put in premium fuel when running the supercharger? Is it truely necessary, or just necessary if you want to see the most gain????

Anyone want to sort this out for me? Looking in your direction lo-bux...

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
The higher the octane, the more resistant the fuel is to pre-ignition (detonation). Start forcing the air in rather than sucking it in, and you'd better start upping the octane. Same goes for any motor running more than 10 points of compression.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.