Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
Joined
·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious, do you guys have preference for a particular gas company. I use cheveron most the time. I never use arco. been using costco gas alot just cause its cheap. anyone know if any gas is better than other?
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
1,691 Posts
The cheaper gas co's are cheaper because they don't have the additives that the more expensive co's do.... like detergent & others of the such.
 

· Former '05er
Joined
·
12,590 Posts
They all come from the same base stock, the only difference is the additive packages. I run Arco all the time except in my Supra because I run 100 octane in it. The best thing you can do is use an injector cleaner like Red Line, Chevron Techroline (Pro Gard or Clean Up), or BG's BG44K (expensive but really good). If you want to be extra nice, switch brands every 2k miles or so to clean up the residue from the additives with another brand's additives. The additives are different.

BTW, there is no reason to run premium in a tC, and a lot of reasons it's bad. It is unwise to run any more octane than you need.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,412 Posts
Teh Quik-E-Mart

























hehehe dont use cheap gas
Citgo or mobile
 

· Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
Sheetz and Wawa!

I live in Fredericksburg, VA... the other day I saw Wawa had gas for $1.81, and, no lie, across the street, Shell had gas for $2.08!

Last time I looked at Sheetz their current regular price was $1.58! I have yet to find gas cheaper anywhere!
 

· Registered
Joined
·
424 Posts
I generally use Shell because its nearest to my house. However, I'll stop at one of those 'Rotten Robby' or 'Beacon' stations occasionally when I'm thinking about it since the gas is basically the same.

lo bux is right about throwing in an additive to help cleanup the injectors occasionally. Just don't use an octane booster fuel since our engines really aren't designed to use anything over 87 octane.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
6,498 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Dec 22 2004, 10:47 PM
They all come from the same base stock, the only difference is the additive packages. I run Arco all the time except in my Supra because I run 100 octane in it. The best thing you can do is use an injector cleaner like Red Line, Chevron Techroline (Pro Gard or Clean Up), or BG's BG44K (expensive but really good). If you want to be extra nice, switch brands every 2k miles or so to clean up the residue from the additives with another brand's additives. The additives are different.
Thanks for some backup on this finally. My dad was a VP at Amoco for a few years and has told me this many, many times.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,554 Posts
I'm in the Air Force, so I get gas on base...it's always cheaper than off base. AAFES buys their gas from BP.
 

· Former '05er
Joined
·
12,590 Posts
2 - 3 mpg is not a little, that's a 10% improvement. 10% is a LOT. How carefully do you monitor your mileage?
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
1,691 Posts
Roanoke, VA Sheetz is $1.57
 

· Registered
Joined
·
664 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Dec 24 2004, 10:00 AM
2 - 3 mpg is not a little, that's a 10% improvement. 10% is a LOT. How carefully do you monitor your mileage?
to me 2 mpg is a little.. when i hit 5mpg or better is when i would smile..

monitor carefully? everytime i fill up i've been calculating the economy since I got my tC .. shell typically returns on average 2-3 mpg better (other stations i've tried. mobil and amoco/bp).. i have tried it with the tC and other cars i've had, so yes shell really does give better fuel economy.. have had friends try shell on their minivan and their mpg also jumped about 2 mpg.. they do have a white paper (research paper) on their additive package on their website.. they claim better fuel economy and well they're not lying.. i've been trying this on other cars for about 2 years now.. and it still holds true in the tC..
 

· Former '05er
Joined
·
12,590 Posts
The Shell station near my house has the highest prices in the Sac metro area. I never buy their gas for that reason. It's hard to imagine what they can do for a 10% increase in thermal efficiency over their competitors, but their price here is typically 4% over the average, and about 8% over the low price.

Too bad they don't sell 100 octane, I could really use high octane with better economy.
 

· Former '05er
Joined
·
12,590 Posts
Originally posted by sciontc_mich@Dec 26 2004, 07:39 AM
to me 2 mpg is a little.. when i hit 5mpg or better is when i would smile..

monitor carefully? everytime i fill up i've been calculating the economy since I got my tC .. shell typically returns on average 2-3 mpg better (other stations i've tried. mobil and amoco/bp).. i have tried it with the tC and other cars i've had, so yes shell really does give better fuel economy.. have had friends try shell on their minivan and their mpg also jumped about 2 mpg.. they do have a white paper (research paper) on their additive package on their website.. they claim better fuel economy and well they're not lying.. i've been trying this on other cars for about 2 years now.. and it still holds true in the tC..
I ran two tanks of Shell in my tC over the last two weeks. Results? 1.6 mpg decrease in efficiency over the same route at the same speeds. Arco wins for economy, I got 29.2 with Arco 87, and I got 27.6 with Shell on the second tank, filled from less than two gallons left. Maybe it's CA RFG, but I'm definitely not getting the same results.

FYI, I always see at least a 2 mpg improvement in highway mileage as soon as I get out of the Reno/Sparks area headed east. CA RFG is horrible crap gasoline, they claim it makes the air cleaner, but I have to burn 10% more of it for the same distance. It's hard to imagine the fuel actually reduces emissions enough to offset this mpg loss.
 
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top