Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of gas milage are you all getting from your ScionTC?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I just bought my first tank of gas yesterday. I'll let you know once I've had it a little longer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
i got my tc on monday w/ a full tank, i'v gone 127 miles (highway and city) w/ the air conditioner on most of the time and i'm not even down to a 1/2 tank yet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thats bullsh** I flippin drive so far everyday and waste so much gas its ridiculous. i fill up if not every other day every three days. yup and i never use the ac.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Mix city and highway, it's NYC so city means the annoying traffic kind of city driving. With AC on most of the time. I get aroughly 21 to 23 mpg.

With 1/2 highway and 1/2 city I get up to 25.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Averaging 25mpg in mixed city/hwy/mind-numbing traffic. About 6k miles total, '05 manual.

I don't know how the folks getting 30+ do it... I can't drive on the freeway at 60mph for extended periods of time without being rear-ended by someone doing 85.

My trip to Vegas averaged almost 29mpg over a 500 mile weekend. Not bad, considering the cruise was on 95 a good part of the way there.

·
Registered
346 Posts
i get about 25 mpg in a mix of city/highway driving without the AC. i usually just roll down the windows. i dont drive it hard, but i like go fast, so i probably get could higher, but id rather have fun in my car than save money on gas.

·
Registered
958 Posts
according to myth busters using the Air Conditioner actually saves more gas, then rolling down the window.. just thought i'd clear that up.. i'm just "quoting" myth buster.. don't shoot the messenger..

·
Registered
346 Posts
hmmmmm

·
Registered
266 Posts
I kind of go with the better mileage using the air conditioner rather than rolling down the windows. I got slightly better mileage on the same highway trip twice than the same trip twice with the windows down and the roof open. It is hard to duplicate an exact trip on the road with other cars and traffic, but it was pretty much the same time out there for sure. Each 250 mile trip ended up being within 3 minutes total time too. Mileage was about 1.2 mpg better with the air going. I got there with what little hair I have left still in place instead of sticking straight up too...

·
Registered
4,860 Posts
Originally posted by MustangJolly@Sep 21 2005, 03:38 PM
according to myth busters using the Air Conditioner actually saves more gas, then rolling down the window.. just thought i'd clear that up.. i'm just "quoting" myth buster.. don't shoot the messenger..
i doubt that, but u never know

·
Former '05er
12,466 Posts
I don't. You have no idea how much drag you induce by opening the windows. If you want to save money by not running the a/c, you just turn the fan on high withh the temp at max cold and the windows up. It's the best you're going to do.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by HaTeOnThYs05@Sep 21 2005, 05:23 PM
The air resistance from rolling down the window might contribute to that. So yeah it might be possible.

Then again how much AC are we talking about, lowest setting, mid or full blast...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Originally posted by shifter+Sep 21 2005, 06:39 PM-->QUOTE (shifter @ Sep 21 2005, 06:39 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-HaTeOnThYs05
@Sep 21 2005, 05:23 PM
The air resistance from rolling down the window might contribute to that. So yeah it might be possible.

Then again how much AC are we talking about, lowest setting, mid or full blast... [/b]
Your compressor is working just as hard no matter what setting you choose. The best thing to do is to just turn it on full tilt, and cool off your interior faster. You might as well enjoy it, if you are going to turn on the AC. If you have it on low...it's working just as hard and using just as much power.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Originally posted by lo bux racer@Sep 21 2005, 09:34 PM
I don't. You have no idea how much drag you induce by opening the windows. If you want to save money by not running the a/c, you just turn the fan on high withh the temp at max cold and the windows up. It's the best you're going to do.
Driving on a US highway near Bloomington, IN last spring I had both windows down as well as the roof open. While averaging 50mph I was able to watch my gas meter go down significantly faster than when the car is sealed up nice and tight.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Originally posted by MustangJolly@Sep 21 2005, 06:38 PM
That was their first test they did.... the second test disproved that theory.
Also... there is a whole thread where this very same topic is discussed.
How many MGP's thread... clicky clicky clicky

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by We11Spring@Sep 21 2005, 07:02 PM
Your compressor is working just as hard no matter what setting you choose. ... If you have it on low...it's working just as hard and using just as much power.
you mean it wastes the same amount of gasoline regardless of AC setting?? Seriously? Wow that's a shocker. If that's the case then I won't be so conservative with my AC setting

1 - 20 of 76 Posts