Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my tc the gas meter moves very slowly throughout my daily week of driving..once it get to a half tank the meter moves down much faster than the first half of the tank..i get about 250 the first half then the second half it falls alot quicker...any one else notice this...?

Ps. it cant be a gas milege problem cuz i get about 300-350 a tank and i drive up alot of hills cuz i live in a mountainous area.

·
Registered
542 Posts
i only get around 200-220 on the first half. but yes the second "half" of the tank drops like there's a hole in the tank

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
non-linear fuel gauges. toyota is known for them. the tank drops at different rates at different points on the needle, so dont go trying to figure out how many gallons are left at a certain point. the halfway mark on the needle does not indicate another 7.25 gallons of gas.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
alright i get about 150-170 first half, then end on 230-260 .. yeah city driving. 100%

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
oh yeah and the first half seems to always last longer. Maybe because when you fill up it goes passed the Full line so it is a little longer, and plus we dont always wait for it to get empty to fill back up. just a thought.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I don't think I've ever owned a car with what seemed like a linear gas gauge.

Isuzu
Subaru
VW
Mitsubishi
Dodge

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
they do that to make you notice that you should fill up.... if it fell in a linear fashion you might forget about it as it neared the bottom.... it moves faster near the bottom... (that last quarter of the tank you can see that thing move!)... so that you get a greater sense of urgency.... its psychological stuff... i read it in a book once

·
Registered
202 Posts
Originally posted by hamster@Dec 8 2005, 10:21 PM
they do that to make you notice that you should fill up.... if it fell in a linear fashion you might forget about it as it neared the bottom.... it moves faster near the bottom... (that last quarter of the tank you can see that thing move!)... so that you get a greater sense of urgency.... its psychological stuff... i read it in a book once
So shape of the gas tank and floater location have nothing to do with it.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
hamster is right. Cadillac once put a super accurate gas gauge in one of their models and got nothing but complaints about running out of gas. For whatever reason, the market dictates that gas gauges need to be non-linear.

In fact, most OEM gauges are very insensitive and do not "accurately" represent anything except normal operation. This is good for the manufacturers because if the gauges were precise, people would make all kinds of claims when the needles moved even a little bit. That means lots of mechanics looking for problems that don't exist. That also means losing a lot of money on every single unit for warranty work.

Remember, the idea is to produce a model with a minimum number of warranty claims per unit, so getting through the warranty claim period without a visit for a warranty repair is paramount in the engineer's list of requirements. This means we get gauges that almost always indicate the same thing unless something is seriously out of whack.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.