Scion tC Forums banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
^^ what he said. A lot of people recommend not even using the automatic shut-off at the pump cause it can still cause that same issue. Had that problem with my last car, check engine light came on and it was because the automatic shutoff at the pump turned off too late and some gas flooded into the charcoal and threw things off.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Well you could always pump it the extra penny to make it even? LOL

·
Where is Donnie?
2,858 Posts
QUOTE (paul.segovich @ Mar 19 2010, 11:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=535069
i hate not even numbers ><[/b]
lol ME TOO!!!! I hate odd numbers.

I don't usually fully top off but I do frequently wait until my gas light has been on for a bit before refilling. not a good habit I hear

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
QUOTE (chica_2626 @ Mar 19 2010, 09:57 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=535070
Well you could always pump it the extra penny to make it even? LOL[/b]
Nah it's not that easy. I'm reallllly picky about that stuff, ocd a bit. I have to like the number it stops on. I'll leave it at that haha.

QUOTE (undeSiReD_eFx @ Mar 19 2010, 09:58 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=535071
QUOTE (paul.segovich @ Mar 19 2010, 11:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=535069
i hate not even numbers ><[/b]
lol ME TOO!!!! I hate odd numbers.

I don't usually fully top off but I do frequently wait until my gas light has been on for a bit before refilling. not a good habit I hear
[/b][/quote]

And that's pretty much what I was told, but the person went on to explain that it is bad for the fuel pump, or something like that.
I always just assumed it was talk, to keep me from running the car on such little gas, but perhaps there could be some truth.
Doubtful though

·
Premium Member
13,780 Posts

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
I don't know anything about a charcoal filter in the fuel neck ... Its my understanding the problem with "topping off" has more to do with causing fuel to get in the EVAP system that pulls extra vapors from the engine into the fuel tank.

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Oh, and the best reasoning I've heard to not run until your tank is below a quarter tank went something like "The pump would suck the dirt from the bottom of the tank and it may clog your filter and your injectors."

But since fuel gets pulled from the bottom of the tank anyway I never put much stock in it myself.

·
Registered
187 Posts
QUOTE (Indemnity83 @ Mar 19 2010, 01:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=535099
I don't know anything about a charcoal filter in the fuel neck ... Its my understanding the problem with "topping off" has more to do with causing fuel to get in the EVAP system that pulls extra vapors from the engine into the fuel tank.[/b]
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...07192530AATLypB

Part of the reason yes but if you're not much to care about the environment, the car itself can be damaged.

41 - 51 of 51 Posts