Scion tC Forums banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Ignorance-intolerant
7,695 Posts
I get about 30 miles once the gas light is on (though i don't like to push it).

I lol every time i think of our gas guage haha. It's so random. Most cars are F_____E and ours is 1/1__1/2__R

I think the R stands for Retarded :p

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,075 Posts
QUOTE (bugalking @ Mar 5 2010, 10:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=531487
^^^ how do you pull that off?[/b]

I drive it like a normal car, nothing special. Typically takes me about 12.5 gallons to refill, which at 300 - 320 per tank comes out to 24-25ish miles per gallon on average. I have averaged a large number of the tanks I have run since I bought the car and my average is 24-25 mpg (for over 5 years). The car is rated at 22/29, which averages to 25ish. So no surprise in what I am seeing at all since my normal commute is a mix of city/hwy type driving. I honestly dont see how people get way less than 300 miles per tank other than driving like it is a stolen car. Like I said, I dont baby it at all.. actually, in my experience people that "try" to drive super easy end up shifting way too early, then trying to give it too much throttle to get the car going.. using more fuel :p

And I always thought the gauge made perfect sense. R= Reserve... like other types of vehicles outside the car world. E actually makes no sense considering most cars are not empty when they are on E. Reserve makes much more sense.

And according to the manual, the CEL will come on when the tank is completely empty. Obviously have never run it far enough to see, but I have run it 40 miles or so after the light came on (gas station I normally stopped at on that trip was closed...)

·
Gynecomastia
5,925 Posts
yeah! i still get 260, back when i g0t the var first i was getting 280-300. i dont know what happened i treat my car like a baby and shift at 20-25 hundred rpm. the only thing i can think of is my S/C but i got the car with it... would changing the spark plugs make any difference?( i have also cleaned my MAF and no difference)

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,075 Posts
I would not expect your plugs to need changing unless you are upwards of 100,000 miles (our car has iridiums stock).

I shift around 3500 rpm + most of the time.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Yea to supplement what Engi is saying, don't shift too early, or else you'll be gassing more. You might well drive like you stole it if you shift too early. Try to find a good RPM to shift, like engi (3k or 4k) somewhere around there, don't floor it too much, and you might get around what engi gets. On a side note, I drive from around newark, NJ to Queens, NY and i barely burn anything, even with some traffic thrown in there. And it might also have to do with the type of gas you buy. I use shell all the time, or BP, the tank lasts longer, than lets say if i go to a neighborhood gas station (which is way cheaper). The cheap won't last nearly as long as the shell or BP. I think the cheap gas stations put water in there gas. :naughty:

·
Registered
187 Posts
You can granny shift 2-2.5k and still get decent gas mileage. You just have to ease the throttle when you get into the next gear. Otherwise, yes you will be throttling too hard and wasting gas. As long as your car is above 1.25k you won't lug the engine and need more throttle. This is for regular driving, if you need to get out of the way of something I would suggest downshift and get on it. Like I said I get around 27mpg driving this way so it does work, you just can't be overthrottling. You have to know that if you don't ease onto the gas you're just gonna be tossing it away.

·
College Student
1,595 Posts
i wouldnt know any of this. Im in the automatic world.
and i always thought that when you get to the tick mark next to "R" you'd be out of gas. Thought it meant Refill lol. This is good to know

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I have sparked an interested when I read a post about how much time does the person have when the gas light. I have never had my gas light come one, I get too nurvous about the gas when it gets juust below a quarter of a tank. I always try to fill it up when it hits quarter of a tank. Am I crazy to think that? Should I let the light come on??

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I think they probably were reading that post and that sparked their question.

I don't think it's a bad idea to fill up, you never know if you might run in to a situation where you can't fill up, or if all hell breaks loose with some sort of disaster, it's never a bad idea to have gas in your tank!!

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,075 Posts
Sounds about right.

Put it this way .... I have run it down to the needle being right on the gas light itself.. I have never seen it take more than 13.7 gallons to fill it up ... Running down to the R line, it typically takes about 12.7 gallons to fill up.

·
Gynecomastia
5,925 Posts
i dont see why it should. even though the fuel is low there is still enough to fill the pump it self. is not like the pump is pumping with no gas then gas.. ( mo)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Somewhat related topic but you should never top off the fuel tank. Once the pump clicks off don't bother trying to round up to the nearest whatever.
This damages the charcoal filter used to filter the gas going into your engine.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts