Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried searching to see if this had been discussed but couldn't find it. I've noticed my gas light comes on about halfway to two-thirds through the last quarter tank of gas...anyone know how many miles you have left once the light comes on? I'm not really wanting to test this out and run the car out of gas, but it came on shortly after I started my commute home and I stopped and filled up just to be on the safe side cause I didn't want to get stuck on the side of the road haha. The manual just says to fill up asap if the light comes on, but I know a lot of cars usually give you a 20-40 mile leeway once the light comes on. Anyone know for the tC?

·
College Student
1,595 Posts
Hello again. I see your enjoying your Release Series!
If memory serves me correct, there is a tic mark before the empty mark. For me, the light comes on about halfway between the last tic mark and the empty gauge. I think someone said here on the forum it gets somewhere in that range that you mentioned. Are you saying the light came on between below the halfway mark and the last tic mark before empty?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Right the line signaling you're down to the last quarter of the tank, the light came on I'd say halfway through, maybe when it was down to the last third of that section. So how many miles can you still drive when you get to that point before you're completely out? Other cars usually don't have the light come on till you hit empty and then it still has a reserve at that point.

Also...other random thought...why does it say R instead of E for empty? LOL

·
College Student
1,595 Posts
I'd say R for Refill.
I guess scion wanted to be different :p

Scion08: your refill light comes on @ 1/2 tank?
both tC's in the family, the 05, and the 09 both come on @ 1/8 of a tank...

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's what I was guessing...kinda strange but I guess not extremely weird. I'm all for being unique : )

QUOTE (ravi @ Mar 5 2010, 08:11 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=531425
I'd say R for Refill.
I guess scion wanted to be different :p[/b]

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He said 1/2 gallon left not 1/2 a tank : )

·
LED Maniac
2,967 Posts
R means RESERVE.

the needle will drop pretty much to where the light is before turns will cause your engine to start sputtering..
general idea would be that there's 2 gallons reserve left in the tank when the light turns on..

you can theoretically drive another 60 or so miles perhaps... but.. it's just best to fill up.

·
Gynecomastia
5,925 Posts

·
College Student
1,595 Posts
o. my bad i misread about the 1/2 gallon/tank thing.

and HOLY COW. now thats low. good to know if we're lost and can't find a rest stop! I usually try to fill up around an 1/8th. I get nervous as soon as the light comes on, even if im still strolling around town.
260? I get around average 230.. and thats commuting to college about 13 miles a day. monday thru friday. and some around town you know lasts me about 1.5-2wks.

·
RIP George James
6,068 Posts
QUOTE (ravi @ Mar 5 2010, 05:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=531433
o. my bad i misread about the 1/2 gallon/tank thing.

and HOLY COW. now thats low. good to know if we're lost and can't find a rest stop! I usually try to fill up around an 1/8th. I get nervous as soon as the light comes on, even if im still strolling around town.[/b]
i was VERY nervous driving it down that low but i wanted to fill up for cheaper. :rolleyes: i was so proud of my tC when i got to the gas station :)

does anyone know if it gets any lower will the car beep or anything?

·
Gynecomastia
5,925 Posts
yeah i have been thinking the same thing

yeah lately i have been getting 240! i love listening to my bov ;)

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay good to know. I get really nervous when I see the gas light on, especially when my first car WOULD die at 1/8th of a tank. But I only have about a 12 mile commute home from work, so definitely could have made it, but was so nervous and traffic was slow so I stopped haha. At least now I know I can make it home if the gas light comes on!

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,075 Posts
Even with commuting in the metro twin cities I very rarely get less than 300 miles out of a tank of gas even in the winter, and I dont baby it. Thats right on R. It will run down to the light as squall said above.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The tank is 14.5 gallons full (not topped off).
It really depends on how hard you drive your car to see how many more miles you can get. Last night I drove my car for another 10 miles after the light went on and when I filled up it was ~12.1 gallons. I typically get around 27 mpg with regular driving (I baby it most of the time, short shifting at 2k RPM and occasionally let it open a few times a week. My commute is mostly local roads as well) so that would mean I had more than 60 miles left on the tank.

I would say the car leaves ~1 gallon before the needle hits R (reserve).

1 - 20 of 51 Posts