Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone else notice that when they are very low on gas, like when the light comes on and they try and floor it, the gas cuts out? is this suppose to happen to let you know that you need gas, all my other cars have been old hondas and that never happen to any of them, maybe its for new cars, i don't even have to floor it, just giving it a little punch, it cuts out at like 3000 rpm, i almost got hit from behind when i was merging into traffic cuz i punched it and it stopped at 3000 rpm, if i accelerate slow, it will go past that rpm range, im guessing maybe since the tank is so empty it its an air pocket in the fuel line if you open the throttle that much? i dont know, if anyone can give me some input, it would be cool, i have a 5 spd.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
It's called running out of gas. When you punch it the acceleration shifts the remaining fuel in the tank thus starving the fuel pump. Fill up as soon as the light comes on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool, ok, anyone else think that the light comes on kind of early? i mean i'll be a couple mm above the e and the light comes on, and even when i've driven it to where the needle is below the E line, then filled up, it only will take like 13 gallons, and the tank is 14.5 right? so that means i should still have about a gallon and a half, anyway, thanks, just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with my ride

·
Registered
123 Posts
Come on dude, If your responsible enough to go out and buy a car. You should be smart enough to know when your car is out of gas or starving for fuel....

Don't do that to a new car, letting all the little sediments at the bottom of the tank gettin into the pump

·
Registered
67 Posts
"cool, ok, anyone else think that the light comes on kind of early? i mean i'll be a couple mm above the e and the light comes on, and even when i've driven it to where the needle is below the E line, then filled up, it only will take like 13 gallons, and the tank is 14.5 right? so that means i should still have about a gallon and a half, anyway, thanks, just wanted to make sure nothing was wrong with my ride"

-garrett420

hey its not E for empty, it's R for refuel.

·
Premium Member
16,504 Posts
Originally posted by japorm@Aug 29 2005, 03:05 PM
hey its not E for empty, it's R for refuel.
Actually, its "R" for Reserve as in the 2 gallons you have left before you run out of fuel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.