Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thinking to myself how nice it would be to be able to swap another engine easily into the tc. Thinking of the days when I had my honda and I couldn't seem to descide on a B18c, B16b, h22, or just drop a turbo on to the b16a. Honda seems to have more of a performance stand point on the hardware. Anybody else out their hoping for something. Mabey a slightly smaller stroke with some kind of lift (vvtl-i). Either that or just keep forcing the air in. Hope I'm not waisting my time posting.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Yeah, but then I'd want to rotate the engine forward so I can have real downdraft ports instead of that convoluted plastic intake manifold we have now. And BTW, you might find it pretty challenging to change anything on the intake side without rotating the engine forward because there's no room behind the existing head and no chance of getting more room without an engine rotation.

So, good luck to you gents. You're going to need to do a lot of fabrication to change anything back there.

·
Registered
124 Posts
i always thought it was a pretty good idea to swap a celica gts motor into our tc with the 6speed tranny. Is that even possible? my goal for my tc is to take a rsx type-s. I thought the best way without force induction was the gts motor. Any thoughts lance?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I can't say for sure but I'm fairly sure he thinks something along the lines of "No."

Generally speaking, you don't want to take a smaller engine, stick it into a heavier car, and then try and race a lighter car with a slightly bigger engine.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Yep, that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

If you could put the tC on a 500 lb diet, it might work, but it would take a pretty good series of tricks to pull that off.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Not with the 2AZ.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
True enough. I'm certain if I had the desire and resources available I could put 4 wheel drive and an LS-2 in a tC, but it wouldn't be easy, cheap, or reliable.

I think the question was closer to will it bolt up and work. The answer is no, it won't, and there are a lot of things you'd need to change to make it work, including the axles and engine/transmission mounts.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I don't think it will be that hard to put a six speed in the tC. Like lo bux racer said

"I'm certain if I had the desire and resources available I could put 4 wheel drive and an LS-2 in a tC, but it wouldn't be easy, cheap, or reliable".

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I just wish Toyota would show a little more versatility when it comes to performance engines and transmissions. I know they have to keep the price down on our Scions but a friendly swap from a similar car wouldn't hurt. Toyota needs to get something else out there like this rumored 2AZ-GE engine everyone is watching for, even though it might never happen. I guess at this point I would be a little upset if such a thing happened seeing now that I just installed the S/C. Love the low end torque with our current engines, it's different from your usual import engines.

·
Destroyer of Cones
7,069 Posts
They dont build cars with engine swaps in mind.. Honda didnt either, they just build a million econoboxes with similar powerplants that happened to interchange easilly. Econo model hondas were NEVER meant to be "sports cars" (and never will be). They were dirt cheap, were FWD so a small engine can move them quickly and younger people could afford to mod them... thus, a lot of aftermarket parts were marketed towards them. They were simply cheap, fuel efficient 4 bangers with solid engines. The young market and resulting parts makers is what made them "The" car to mod. Toyota didnt fall into that until recently, so maybe if a whole generation of tC like cars start to come out, things will be different.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.