Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a new Scion TC (manual) and we have had it for a week. My wife mainly drives it. She's telling me she smells a burnt smell when she drives it. I was wondering if anybody has experienced the same thing. Is there some kind of "break in" period for a new manual car? Is this the clutch that she's smelling?

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
if not the clutch, sometimes the catalytic converter can stink pretty good. but that should go away by 100 miles.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Cindy's right -- I did that once, and the smell was noticeable for months, even after I got as much of the bag off the hot underside of the car as I could...

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
That smell is more than likely the factory undercoating overspray being burnt off the exhaust system. It will go away shortly.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
so, what we are saying is, it could be any number of annoying but most likely non-threatening issues. wow. we are so much help.

yeah, welcome to the site. hopefully we help more in the future.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
for the first few hundred? really? that was the same thing with my 03 matrix xr. i picked it up as a dealer demo, so it had about 400 miles. but on the way home, i noticed something like melting plastic. thought it was a plastic bag. nope. guy at the dealership said dont worry, it will pass in a few. it did. weird. thought mine would have been isolated. maybe it was a matrix thing.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Neither of my tCs have had funny smells. Strange, but good.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.