Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
It will be wide and it might rub. At 8" and 35mm offset you're adding 22.5mm toward the outside with that width and offset. I added 16mm by using an 8.5 with a 48mm offset, and it's very close. A 40mm offset would be safer if you can get it in that combination.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by mr_lore@Apr 18 2005, 09:20 AM
Interesting....with the 1.4" TRD spring/strut drop is that going to complicate things? Where on the car is the portion that is in question, is it the inside of the well or the outside lip of the well???
Yeah, outside lip. You'll never rub the inside, I'd bet you could stick a 9 inch wide rim in that wheel well with no issues if the offset is right.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I have 8.5 wide rims with a 48mm offset. I would not want any less, I would bet it would rub the fender. It's very close. Less offset means the wheel sticks out farther, so a 38mm offset would put the outer lip of the rim 10mm farther out than a 48mm offset. Yes, the tires will make a difference, but if you are at 18 x 8.5, the ideal tire is 245/35/18. 225 will be stretched to make it across that rim. Unless you are going for the lowrider look.

I seriously thought about an 18 x 8.5 with a 245/35, but chose to go with 17" because I have a much better tire selection. I might still do it for the wife's car though. She'll like it.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Axis says they only sell the 18 x 8.5 with a 35mm offset for the tC. Apparently, it fits. Hard to believe, but that's what they say.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You've got it exactly right.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
It won't be an inch. Keep in mind, I have 8.5 and a 48mm offset and it surely does clear. I suspect it might be maybe 5mm (<.25"), which you might be able to get with a fender roll, and I also suspect if Axis is selling them to fit, they probably do. If they don't, it should be a simple affair to return them to Axis and complain.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by Zygote55@May 5 2005, 04:28 PM
It probably would fit a stock tC, but it will rub with any kind of a drop.
Drop only makes a difference with tire size, not rim size. If the tire and rim combination is anywhere near stock diameter it won't make any difference how much you drop the car. If it is significantly bigger (more than the usual 2%), then you may have problems.

Look at is this way, drop doesn't change height at full suspension compression. If it rubs dropped, it will rub at stock height, it will just need a bigger bump to do it. If it ever rubs, it is BAD. A tire can shred in seconds depending on what it contacts. When it comes to tire clearance on a street vehicle, it is ALWAYS better to err on the side of more room than less. Other things that can affect tire rub include bushing deflection under load, so being really close is NEVER good.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You could run it with a 10mm spacer and it would be good, but as narrow as they are, they could use about 10mm less offset. Without the spacer, the wheels will only be about 3 millimeters closer to the fender than stock.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Not in this case.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.