Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newb when it comes to wheels 'n tires, I am 99% sure a 18x8 35 offset rim will work I just want to know what kind of look is that gonna accomplish on the Tc. Will it be flush, etc?

the rims in question:

Plannin on wrappin it in pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S 225/40/18 unless someones got some wisdom to suggest otherwise.

Thanks

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
It will be wide and it might rub. At 8" and 35mm offset you're adding 22.5mm toward the outside with that width and offset. I added 16mm by using an 8.5 with a 48mm offset, and it's very close. A 40mm offset would be safer if you can get it in that combination.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
lo buxx, your killin me I scoured the net all weekend and now that i think i finally can settle on some rims your tellin me they may not fit, upsetting. Just kiddin, thanks for the heads up I guess I'l have to go with my second choice:

18x7.5 42's will treat me right wont they?

·
Registered
742 Posts
I have 17x8 +35mm with 235/40/17's and no rubbing;)

My tires are wider than 225's and the diameter of the wheels should not matter, you should be fine:)

Lobux and I agree on most things but not always:)

Rick

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting....with the 1.4" TRD spring/strut drop is that going to complicate things? Where on the car is the portion that is in question, is it the inside of the well or the outside lip of the well???

·
Registered
112 Posts
Good call lo bux. I have 18X40 +35 w/ TRD springs and when I load up the back, the rear tires rub slightly on the inner lip of the fender. It looks like rolling the upper edge of the rear fender will solve the problem though. As lo bux said, it's very close.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Originally posted by mr_lore@Apr 18 2005, 09:20 AM
Interesting....with the 1.4" TRD spring/strut drop is that going to complicate things? Where on the car is the portion that is in question, is it the inside of the well or the outside lip of the well???
Yeah, outside lip. You'll never rub the inside, I'd bet you could stick a 9 inch wide rim in that wheel well with no issues if the offset is right.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Hmm, from the looks of things there is more than enough room but I have not dropped my car yet, dropped plenty in my time so thought it looked fine.
Rolling fenders is not to difficult so will if I have to

Rick

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have RO_JA Formula 7 18 X 8 with an 37mm offset on Fulda 225/40ZR/18's. No rubbing what so ever...I do have a 2 inch drop too.

·
Registered
619 Posts
i have a question that fits here. i am looking at a set of 18x8.5. at the moment i am not sure of the of set. the tires are 225's. i dont know how to word this, how small or large of an off set can i go? like where is my limit before 1 of 2 things happen. either it looks stupid or i rub beyond the point that rolling my fenders wont even work? thanks for the help.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I have 8.5 wide rims with a 48mm offset. I would not want any less, I would bet it would rub the fender. It's very close. Less offset means the wheel sticks out farther, so a 38mm offset would put the outer lip of the rim 10mm farther out than a 48mm offset. Yes, the tires will make a difference, but if you are at 18 x 8.5, the ideal tire is 245/35/18. 225 will be stretched to make it across that rim. Unless you are going for the lowrider look.

I seriously thought about an 18 x 8.5 with a 245/35, but chose to go with 17" because I have a much better tire selection. I might still do it for the wife's car though. She'll like it.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I did alot of checking on wheels and offsets, I think you could squeeze an 8.5" wheel with a 42 or 43 offset but only with 235 tires, not 245's.

For 9" wide 48 would be about maxed out with 235's's but that would be really cutting it close, in fact probably to close, more like a 52 or so I would imagine would be best and then you could do a 245 tire, at least I think so as have not done it.

I have 235/40/17's on 8" 35mm and it is about perfect. But, some 235's are wider than others.

Rick

·
Registered
619 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. I will hopefull get to test fit the wheels tomorrow. What i dont get is this guy saying that he test fit them on another tc and the front was great but the rear stuck out bad. so i guess i need to see for myself.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Sorry mr_lore im not trying to hijack your thread. just seems like a logical place for these questions. the wheels i am trying to get a hold of are Axis Hiros 18x8.5. seeing that i haven’t had a chance to talk to the guy i am getting the wheels from and put them on my car, i have been researching the possible offsets of the wheels i am looking at. I found a reference so far that is stating a +45mm offset. But this was for a set on a Lexus. no seeing that the bolt pattern is different not sure if the available offsets are dictated by the lug pattern.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Bolt pattern and offset are not dependent on each other, just what the manf seems to think they can market to.

8.5 will be fine with a 48 offset and 245 like Lobucs has, if you cannot find the actual numbers for the wheels then let us know, you can measure it!

rick

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Axis says they only sell the 18 x 8.5 with a 35mm offset for the tC. Apparently, it fits. Hard to believe, but that's what they say.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Thanks guys. I just got my reply email from axis and you are correct. They say it’s a +35mm offset. So with what you were saying lo bux is that would put the edge of the wheel 13mm closer to the fender lip than stock. So, if a wheel had the same offset, but was wider, which way does the extra width go? does it go to the out sid of the wheel well, the inside, or is it evenly distributed through both sides? Lets see if i have this math right.

i will be adding 13mm over stock offset toward the finder lip. Thats about .6 inches. the rim is 1.5 inches wider that factory so i would be adding half of that, .75inches towards the outside. which is 19.05 mm. Sooooo thats a total of 32.5mm's to the outside of my finder. that would be equal to 1.28inches. I can now see how that could be a problem.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
You've got it exactly right.

·
Registered
619 Posts
cool. so i went out to my car and measured what that would be, there is no way. the rim would protrude from a half inch to an inch past my finder. looks like i will stick with Subzeros in a 18x7.5. Thanks for you help lo bux.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
It won't be an inch. Keep in mind, I have 8.5 and a 48mm offset and it surely does clear. I suspect it might be maybe 5mm (<.25"), which you might be able to get with a fender roll, and I also suspect if Axis is selling them to fit, they probably do. If they don't, it should be a simple affair to return them to Axis and complain.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.