Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that the anti-lock system is designed for a reason, and that reason saved me from totaling my tC today. My question is this.

Are there any potential damaging effects to the brake system that can happen in a full slam on the brakes and ride em to a stop from 45 mph?

I didn't notice anything, but who knows. I locked up my ford focus a year ago and the front rotors warped so badly i couldn't drive it. Don't ask me how that happened.

·
Registered
171 Posts
That won't hurt anything at all. The reason your focus rotors warped is probly because they didn't cool down enough before it was parked. after heavy braking heat is built up in the pads and calipers and rotors, if you park it before they all have a chance to cool down heat will be traped under the calipers and pads causing the rotor to deform.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Rotors don't warp. Ask Carroll Smith of Stoptech. They transfer pad material from the pad to the rotor and it changes the surface friction so the rotors pulse from inconsistent mu across the face of the rotor.

45 mph isn't fast enough to even get the rotor glowing. You would have to make a series of stops from 45 mph (at least 15 or so) to get the rotors hot enough to even think about pad material transfer.

Your Focus rotors weren't warped. You could have taken emery cloth to the surface and reconditioned them yourself. Again, don't take my word for it, do a Google search on rotor warp Carroll Smith. You'll find it enlightening.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm pretty sure the last time I turned some rotors they were warped as in not true. I'm sure that a transfer of pad material to the rotor would cause a "bumpy" brake pedal but to say that rotors don't warp is absurd.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Argue with Carroll Smith. He's been doing brakes longer than either of us have been alive. Here's a direct quote:

With one qualifier, presuming that the hub and wheel flange are flat and in good condition and that the wheel bolts or hat mounting hardware is in good condition, installed correctly and tightened uniformly and in the correct order to the recommended torque specification, in more than 40 years of professional racing, including the Shelby/Ford GT 40s - one of the most intense brake development programs in history

- I have never seen a warped brake disc. I have seen lots of cracked discs, discs that had turned into shallow cones at operating temperature because they were mounted rigidly to their attachment bells or top hats, a few where the friction surface had collapsed in the area between straight radial interior vanes, and an untold number of discs with pad material unevenly deposited on the friction surfaces - sometimes visible and more often not.

In fact every case of "warped brake disc" that I have investigated, whether on a racing car or a street car, has turned out to be friction pad material transferred unevenly to the surface of the disc. This uneven deposition results in thickness variation (TV) or run-out due to hot spotting that occurred at elevated temperatures.[/b]
If you want to argue with the brains behind StopTech, be my guest.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
I've done enough machine work to know if I chuck something up and it want to to stay concentric, I'd better not remove it and rechuck it. Same thing is true about the brake rotors. Have you ever chucked up a brand new rotor only to find it isn't true? I've done it. What's up with that? Usually it's the machine you're using to true the disc being slightly off, or a small piece of dirt under the hat, or a million other little things. It doesn't take much when you are mounting at the center and measuring 5" or 6" away from center.

Believe what you want. I'm pretty confident of Carroll Smith's analysis.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You crazy kids.

All i know is what the dealership told me, i ren my fingers along the face of the rotor and you could absolutely feel it was not flat. *shrugs. Call it cracked, warped, whatever.

Anyway, so the tC's anti-lock system is built to work over and over, not just once and get serviced then. Awsome.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
OFF TOPIC: ^^^ Just checked out some of your photography on your site, you have some beautiful b&w shots. Just thought you should know.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by whosthatrussian@Aug 3 2005, 01:40 PM
OFF TOPIC: ^^^ Just checked out some of your photography on your site, you have some beautiful b&w shots. Just thought you should know.
:)

Thanks, I've alot of work to do though. I can do way better than that.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Originally posted by OliverThomas@Aug 3 2005, 05:00 AM
You crazy kids.

All i know is what the dealership told me, i ren my fingers along the face of the rotor and you could absolutely feel it was not flat. *shrugs. Call it cracked, warped, whatever.

Anyway, so the tC's anti-lock system is built to work over and over, not just once and get serviced then. Awsome.
THAT'S FUNNY! Are you running your fingers from the center to the out edge? If I am not mistaken, a warped rotor would be a rotor that would seem to wobble when spinning. what you have is a rotor that has scarring.

Guys correct me if i'm am wrong. Or better yet school me on the matter.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.