Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of fuel do you fill up your tC's with? I heard someone said 87 and another person 89...I've just driven for about 150 miles so haven't had a chance to go to gas station yet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i was wondering what kinda gas mileage ppl with the automatic tc are getting with just city street driving. I wanna make sure mine is about the same and that there's nothin wrong with mine. Feel free to post, thanks

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have about half (maybe a bit more) of the tank left with 150 miles on it. I've been driving mostly in the city.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Originally posted by Missibaby@Jul 23 2004, 11:44 AM
i was wondering what kinda gas mileage ppl with the automatic tc are getting with just city street driving. I wanna make sure mine is about the same and that there's nothin wrong with mine. Feel free to post, thanks
I've been getting about 28mpg with an auto and mostly city driving.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Put 89 octane in your tC at all times, I put in 91 though. But, if you live in the midwest, like I used to, DO NOT PUT ETHANOL-BLENDED FUELS IN YOUR VEHICLE, it states it clearly in the owners manual. I'm just glad I read the owners manual first thing, otherwise I would have made that mistake since Ethanol is everywhere out there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Originally posted by fyrewal@Jul 25 2004, 01:24 PM
Put 89 octane in your tC at all times, I put in 91 though. But, if you live in the midwest, like I used to, DO NOT PUT ETHANOL-BLENDED FUELS IN YOUR VEHICLE, it states it clearly in the owners manual. I'm just glad I read the owners manual first thing, otherwise I would have made that mistake since Ethanol is everywhere out there.
how do i know if im putting ethanol in my tank? the times ive put anything in my tank, it was the regular (87, right?) unleaded from mobil.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Federal Law states that for all grades blended with Ethanol the pump must be clearly labeled with the fact that it contains Ethanol and what percentage blend it contains.

I remember back home they always had BIG white stickers that said, "CONTAINS 10% ETHANOL".

Hope that helps you, of course if you live nowhere near the midwest, I wouldn't worry about it, they don't really sell Ethanol in a lot of other places than the plains states.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by fyrewal@Jul 25 2004, 01:24 PM
Put 89 octane in your tC at all times, bl bla bla bla blaaaaaaaa
please do not give advice if you do not know what you are talking about.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
No kidding. Toyota says 87 octane is fine. Therefore, 87 octane is fine and you will get NO benefit from using anything higher.

·
Registered
16 Posts
^You shouldn't put an octane rating lower than 89 in the tC.....how do I not know what I'm talking about?

Edit: Okay 87 octane, my bad, I just looked it up...

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by fyrewal@Jul 25 2004, 01:37 PM
^You shouldn't put an octane rating lower than 89 in the tC.....how do I not know what I'm talking about?
ok I see whats going on here, lets simplify and say that Toyota engineers reccomend a FINAL octane rating of 87 in the TC.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by fyrewal@Jul 25 2004, 01:37 PM

Edit: Okay 87 octane, my bad, I just looked it up...
haha, just a simple mistake......no biggie. I went HARD through all 4 gears (automagic in my TC) and got no pinging out of it today.......so 87 seems to be doing the trick. Not to mention that just from the low compression alone, 87 is clearly enough to keep detonation to its proper points. - T

·
Registered
16 Posts
^Well w/e dude, different strokes for different folks I guess, I'm still gonna fill with 91 octane everytime, just cuz that's how much I luuuurrve my tC!

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by fyrewal@Jul 25 2004, 01:46 PM
^Well w/e dude, different strokes for different folks I guess, I'm still gonna fill with 91 octane everytime, just cuz that's how much I luuuurrve my tC!
ill feel bad for you when your car burns down due to an overheated catalytic converter.....dont be ignorant. Our cars can NOT burn 91 octane gas, which leads to excess wasted fuel and EXTREMELY hot catalytic converter temps causing premature wear and massive clogs.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts