Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys,

i was on e yesterday for the first time, but i still have a good gallon or so left in it. i revved it around a corner yesterday and the fuel just shut off after like 4k or something. once it dropped back down i could drive it again, but like all the power just DROPPED out of the engine. it didnt turn off, just wouldnt let me rev it that hard with the gas being that low. is that normal on our cars? something so save u gas or something? kinda dangerous IMO.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good advice. i told my coworkers and they told me not to let it get that low, to fill it up as soon as the light comes on.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i tend to see how many miles i can get before it dies, but ive never run out of gas. gotten close though.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
All the fuel moved away from the pickup. The engine was starving for fuel and probably running lean. Bad idea. Get gas immediately. High corner loads and low fuel are a bad combination for engine life.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok. thanks lance.

·
Registered
243 Posts
anyone see that episode of seinfeld when kramer and the car dealer try to go as far as they can on gas? well i would get gas right away.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
That means you were almost bone dry. I've had that happen to me a couple times with the tC, after NEVER having it happen to me in any other car. The tC really needs gas FAST once the light comes on.

·
Registered
6,072 Posts
Originally posted by Wolo@Aug 3 2005, 03:04 PM
I have no idea how much is left when that light goes on
I was driving about a week ago, and the light came on, so I went to the closest gas station, which was about 3 miles down the road. Took about 12.1 gallons to fill it up. Considering tank is supposed to be 14.5 gallons, seems like maybe it comes on when you have about 2.5 gallons left. If you just always fill up when the light comes on, you should never have to worry about it, because you'll always be able to at least go 40 or 50 miles to the next gas station. heh.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Happens to me too. Take a turn and all of a sudden all power drops out hard. Fuel starvation. Get some gas.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
When I was a kid, my parents referred to that light as "the idiot light." As in, "Hey idiot, go get some gas!"

·
Registered
46 Posts
Originally posted by Shark_bite@Aug 3 2005, 03:59 PM
anyone see that episode of seinfeld when kramer and the car dealer try to go as far as they can on gas? well i would get gas right away.
LMAO! YEs i have seen that episode...They are like all sweaty and ####. Mkae it like hundreds of miles. Gotta love Seinfeld

·
Registered
107 Posts
speaking of Seinfeld, i'm thinking about getting an A** Man license plate.that would rule!!lmao

·
Registered
565 Posts
Originally posted by lucidspoon+Aug 4 2005, 08:25 AM-->QUOTE (lucidspoon @ Aug 4 2005, 08:25 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-Wolo
@Aug 3 2005, 03:04 PM
I have no idea how much is left when that light goes on
I was driving about a week ago, and the light came on, so I went to the closest gas station, which was about 3 miles down the road. Took about 12.1 gallons to fill it up. Considering tank is supposed to be 14.5 gallons, seems like maybe it comes on when you have about 2.5 gallons left. If you just always fill up when the light comes on, you should never have to worry about it, because you'll always be able to at least go 40 or 50 miles to the next gas station. heh. [/b]
I have found the same to be true. But from what Im reading here we are better off not stretching the 2 gallons any further. The few times I had to do that, I just drove nice and easy... now I know not to take any hard corners too.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Lo Bux, seems like I have heard that you can damage a car's ~ whatever ~ by always letting it go to almost empty, and that it is better to keep it at least a third full? And this can be a very expensive problem to fix? I think my daughter, always being broke, brought this problem upon her Honda. This gives "running on empty" a new meaning, right?

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
^^^ I wonder. I have heard that, but have also heard/read that refilling too early every time will prevent impurities that collect at the bottom of your tank from being burned, resulting in more of them collecting. I have no idea.

·
Registered
185 Posts
^^^i've heard something similar too, just don't let it run dry either.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.