Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to get a bit worried. It's been getting cold here, usually below freezing when I get off of work and drive home. The last few days I've noticed that my tC has a bumpy ride...kinda whump-whump-whump-whump when I leave the parking lot. It seems the worst about 30 mph. It's not the engine, I let it warm up before I take off. I'm sure it has something to do with it being cold cause I haven't noticed it until now and after I drive half a mile or so it's gone.

I'm wondering if maybe they screwed something up when they put my TRD springs on and messed up something with the CV joints? Or possibly something to do with the tires?

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Have you checked to make sure all of your lug nuts are completely tightened?

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Flip - used to get that with my old Cavilier - check the air pressure #1...but usually it's the air being redistributed in the tires when ya drive. When the car sits it all goes to the bottom...ya take off and your tires are uneven. Just make sure they're full enough or you're going to rupture a tire like I did on my old car. Shredded the thing right off.

·
Registered
252 Posts
It's not uncommon for tires to develop "flat spots" after sitting for a long period of time. This happens to me all the time and it never gets cold in Florida. My car does sit for days (sometimes weeks) without being driven. I imagine the cold will make the condition more purvasive especially if your tire pressure is too low.

·
Registered
542 Posts
i've got 18's on my civic and when it gets cold out and the car has sat overnight, the tires seem really out of balance untill they warm up. cold weather seems to affect low profile tires more noticeably than regular tires

·
Registered
282 Posts
i have noticed the feeling of the car on cold mornings. its been below 30 degrees the past few days. when ever i start to drive, i notice that my car doesnt have the smooth feeling as it used to, thinking its prolly just the engine warming up. as some of you already know, i am hard of hearing (not deaf) i dont hear every noise you all may hear but i do feel it. the tires were my second thoughts, i kept looking at my tire pressure sensors light....nothing...but then there was a thread on here about those sensors not being as reliable as it should be.
will check my tire pressure tomorrow. how many psi front and back?? its somewhere on here but i dont feel like hunting down the numbers....

that 'rough' feeling goes away after about 10 mins on the highway.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Originally posted by flippy@Dec 3 2004, 07:02 AM
I'm starting to get a bit worried. It's been getting cold here, usually below freezing when I get off of work and drive home. The last few days I've noticed that my tC has a bumpy ride...kinda whump-whump-whump-whump when I leave the parking lot. It seems the worst about 30 mph. It's not the engine, I let it warm up before I take off. I'm sure it has something to do with it being cold cause I haven't noticed it until now and after I drive half a mile or so it's gone.

I'm wondering if maybe they screwed something up when they put my TRD springs on and messed up something with the CV joints? Or possibly something to do with the tires?

Any ideas?
flippy...

DONT BE WORRIED!!
it's completely normal for low profile peformance tires to do that.. let me explain.. it's called "Flatspotting" and it's common for low profile tires to do that. To get performance tires to perform at high speed you need a tire construction that can withstand fast speeds. Now none of us can get up to the speed rating of the stock tires which is 168 mph, but they make the tire be able to do that. They do this by using nylon, rayon, or polyester cords in addition to the steel belts. When it gets cold outside (usually lower than 40 degrees) these cords can remember how they are sitting when parked so when you drive it in the morning you'll feel that vibration. It isn't until the tire is warmed up that the belts return to a normal shape and hence no more vibration. No amount of tire pressure changes will really change this.. I have found that keeping the tires at 32 front and 29 rear when cold is the best way to limit how much vibration you'll get. Some low profile winter tires (aka snow tires) probably don't do this, because they are made for the cold.. You're not doing any damage to your tires though it's more of an inconvenience..

I have replaced the stock bridgestone RE92's with Pirelli Pzero Nero m&s and they do the same thing in the morning. Mine usually warm up within about 3-5 miles..

And you're right the cords inside the tire's construtction are "Freezing" as you said.. so no don't worry it's not your trd springs or cv joints.. hope that helps..

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet yall...thanks for the input. I'll sleep much better now

I kinda hoped the cold tires were the culprits but didn't want to damage anything if it turned out to be something else.

I'm knitting some tire booties as we speak.

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Bridgestone S-03s don't do this in a 245/45/YR17 front 265/40/YR17 rear combo.

If you don't like the noise, you might like an H rated tire better.

It's hard to figure why they put a Z rated tire on the manual, they only hit 139.5 mph at red line (6250) in 5th. An H rated tire would work just fine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.