Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't sure which forum to stick this in. I guess it's probably most relevent to this one, so here goes...

I bought my tC in North Carolina. I live in Virginia. Virginia requires that a vehicle have license plates on both the rear and front of the vehicle. Now, I'm not sure what the NC law is on this (I'm guessing they only run rear plates... I never noticed), but my dealer did not install a front license plate holder. There's a couple of little indentations there that I assume mark where you'd drill into the font bumper to install one.

I happened across this license plate bracket from Eight08 Customs. I was wondering if anyone else had this thing or knew of something similar. I'd rather not drill holes into my bumper if I don't have to.

I have a few reservations about this thing also, that maybe someone could clear up. I was wondering how sturdy it would be... for instance, I wouldn't want the license plate flapping in the wind and beating the paint off the bumper. I also wonder if it would be compatible if I decided to install a custom/aftermarket grille in the future (since the thing is designed to mount on the stock honeycomb grille). Finally, I wonder if mounting the plate in such a fashion might restrict air flow in some way and cause problems (probably far fetched, but I see this happen all the time on race cars where trash gets stuck to the grille and causes them to overheat -- granted their grilles are usually 90% taped up and the trash blocks the other 10%
).

Any help on the topic would be appreciated.

P.S. If you live in Virginia, I also came across this petition to revoke the front license plate law. I didn't sign it, but I don't think I'd shed any tears if it got repealed.

· Registered
180 Posts
i haven't used it myself so i can't comment on the strength of the piece, but it looks pretty simple and strong enough to hold up something as light as a license plate.. and as for the slamming on the bumper and taking off the paint, you can always get some foam tape or any kind of foam with adheasive only on one side to buffer the slamming.

· Registered
4,894 Posts
I've heard of people using that license plate thing. I say go for it.

· Registered
63 Posts
I wish I could have used that. Instead, my dealership went ahead and drilled my front license plate on...crooked.

· Premium Member
1,691 Posts
So did mine... even after I told them not to drill... I still got the relocator anyways & I highly recommend it! BE SURE TO USE BLUE LOCKTITE!!!! It will fall of due to vibrations if you don't!

· Registered
108 Posts
I bought one of those from Eight08 Customs and it works well. I've had it for over a year. I've got my license plate and a cheap black metal license plate frame from Walmart attached to it and I haven't had any problems. It's pretty solid. I haven't noticed any movement, but I did adjust it to sit away from the bumber by about an inch to be sure. As was already mentioned... Loctite is a must.

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies all... I think I may order one of these things.

The only concern I have now is if I install a custom grille later on that the holder won't work as intended. I guess I'll cross that bridge if I come to it.

Thanks again for the help.

· Registered
3,861 Posts
Originally posted by CaptJack@Dec 31 2005, 12:38 AM
I bought one of those from Eight08 Customs and it works well. I've had it for over a year. I've got my license plate and a cheap black metal license plate frame from Walmart attached to it and I haven't had any problems. It's pretty solid. I haven't noticed any movement, but I did adjust it to sit away from the bumber by about an inch to be sure. As was already mentioned... Loctite is a must.
I already knew you lived in ohio but i was wondering if front plates are required in ohio???

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You do have to have front plates in Ohio:

Q: So, when did the laws in Ohio change? Evidently we don't need to have a license plate on the front of our cars anymore in Ohio . . . since we counted 34 cars without front plates on a 15-minute drive in Solon recently - and they weren't out-of-state or temp tagged. - T.R., Lorain

A: You observed 34 scofflaws. As far as Ohio is concerned, the law of the land is two plates per car.[/b]
Taken from this link I found on Google: http://www.cleveland.com/news/plaindealer/...4000.xml&coll=2

EDIT: I found the bill online that says you need two plates:
Current law requires owners and operators of most kinds of motor vehicles to display on the front and rear of their vehicles license plates and validation stickers issued by the Registrar of Motor Vehicles and deputy registrars (secs. 4503.19 and 4503.21).[/b]
http://lsc.state.oh.us/CODEREV/anh123.nsf/...2e?OpenDocument

So in summary... yeah, in Ohio, you need front and rear plates to be legal.

· Registered
5,861 Posts
Are front plates required in california? ( The car nazi state)
some of my friends don't have front license plates.

and ..my dealer drilled holes in mine also. I kind of want to take them off and fill the damn holes.

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man, you guys are lazy.

http://www.caldrive.com/law.html

Cars driven in California should have both front and rear license plates (number plates). You are unlikely to get pulled over just for this, but it's a useful excuse if a police officer suspects you for something else, and it can cause you to get a small fine.[/b]
I think there's 30-some states that require front and rear plates. That leaves 15-ish where front plates are not required. So, chances are, if you're unsure, you probably have to have them. If your DMV issues you 2 plates, that'd be a big hint, I'd guess.

and ..my dealer drilled holes in mine also. I kind of want to take them off and fill the damn holes.[/b]
There's a company that makes color-matched plugs for the holes drilled in your front bumper if you plan on taking yours off. They also make plugs for your keyholes, which I think is really cool (have you EVER inserted your key in there to unlock your door?), but they're like $14 for ONE. I'll look for the link and edit it back in here in a few minutes.

EDIT: Here's the thread from YStC.com on the subject (there's a list of color codes for tC's on here I think):
http://www.yoursciontc.com/forums/index.ph...hl=bumper+plugs

Here's the manufacturer's website:
http://www.bumperplugs.com/

Hope this helps.

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts
nice job, neo-truth. 41 posts and you are more helpful than me already.

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hehe... sorry. I guess I have a bad habit of giving too much info when someone asks a question. Plus, I'm really bored at work, on a Saturday, on New Year's Eve, and I didn't have anything better to do. Luckily, I'll be heading home soon. And then I'll be bored again.

EDIT: #42!

· Ironhead
12,859 Posts
i feel your pain. i too am at the office on a slow saturday.

no need to apologize, more info is way better than no info. besides, its just nice to see someone willing to help out instead of going all search crazy.

· Registered
108 Posts
(CaptJack @ Dec 31 2005, 12:38 AM)
I bought one of those from Eight08 Customs and it works well. I've had it for over a year. I've got my license plate and a cheap black metal license plate frame from Walmart attached to it and I haven't had any problems. It's pretty solid. I haven't noticed any movement, but I did adjust it to sit away from the bumber by about an inch to be sure. As was already mentioned... Loctite is a must. [/b]
I already knew you lived in ohio but i was wondering if front plates are required in ohio??? [/b][/quote]

Required in Ohio... but not in KY. In Cincy, it's not strictly enforced. If you don't see a front plate, you just assume it's a KY car. But I decided to stay legal.

· Registered
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just placed an order for the bracket... hopefully it will get here this week. I think I'm going to go down to DMV on Thursday and get all that crap out of the way (tax, tags, title, whatever else... I need to update my driver's license too.. the address on it is 6 years out of date lol).

I'll let you know how it goes.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.