Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a Christmas gift for You guys who has no money to buy
an expensive A/M exhaust.
Just drill a 3/4 inch hole in the bottom of your drum muffler.
Sounds great!

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Why not just take off the muffler completely?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
lol.... this should be in the audio/video forum

·
Registered
847 Posts
thats weak...

thats a dyno of my tC with only the TRD exhaust... i would much rather take the TRD exhaust over an exhaust w/no axle back and not risk pissing off any cops or emissions people...

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
The "hole in the exhaust" mod is just as good for "performance" as the TRD exhaust, and a whole lot cheaper! Woot!

You should open a shop and do this "mod" for others.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
You can also weld in a bung in the bottom of the muffler and put a plug in it if you want a quiet day.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Originally posted by josurr@Dec 14 2005, 12:49 AM
thats weak...

thats a dyno of my tC with only the TRD exhaust... i would much rather take the TRD exhaust over an exhaust w/no axle back and not risk pissing off any cops or emissions people...
You have to remember that dyno results change from area to area. Dynos are horrible indications of power. One car can get 100 whp from one dyno and get 90 from another. Variations can be as much as 15%. All a dyno is good for is to judge the gains from a mod relative to a baseline. That is why most serious power builders dyno each time they add something major. If you're like LBR, you'd do a timed lap afterwards as this is probably the best way to achieve accurate results for performance gains.

The gain from removing the axleback portion is 5 hp max. That is, it did 5 hp over a baseline.

If you had dyno'd your car before and after the TRD install I can almost guarantee you that the baseline will yield almost the same hp as it did with the TRD exhaust.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by zoltiz@Dec 14 2005, 06:28 AM
You can also weld in a bung in the bottom of the muffler and put a plug in it if you want a quiet day.
No expensive welding!

Get a dollar plug at Home Depot.

·
Ironhead
13,253 Posts
Originally posted by PhamKL@Dec 14 2005, 03:23 PM
You have to remember that dyno results change from area to area. Dynos are horrible indications of power. One car can get 100 whp from one dyno and get 90 from another. Variations can be as much as 15%. All a dyno is good for is to judge the gains from a mod relative to a baseline.
amen. if i had a nickel for every time i have typed that... i'd have a few nickels.

the dyno is not the end of all things.

·
Registered
508 Posts
i can not believe that someone would consider drilling a hole in there muffler as a mod.can we say ghetto. lets think about this for a second. if it was actually possible to get a gain out of doing this don't you think that everyone would be doing it. so your saying that just bc you have a hole in your muffler you are going to have more hp then the guy sitting next to you with the same type of car but without a hole in his muffler. so if i was to drill a hole in my muffler then i guess i could drill a hole in the stock intake box and get more hp out of that also. well i think ill take off all the stuff i've put on my car, reinstall all the stock parts and start cutting and drilling so i can have the same performance i get now. then ill put my stock spring back on and just cut them so the car will handle better also. common now. i like free mods just as much as the next guy but give me a break. sorry to sound like a
but that takes the cake.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
No. He is saying that "performance" exhausts produce primarily sound and don't do much to improve performance, and that you could get just about the same practical result from drilling a hole in the muffler. He is correct.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks Marty - You said what I was going to say!
I'm gonna test my new "mod" on my own dyno (waiting for the same
outside temp. that i had doing my last test) and let You guys know.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Not everyone is doing this because not everyone wants to release a HP or two by compromising the muffling by a few hundredths of a decibal or two.

Think, man, if the most performance can be had from an exhaust mod by cutting after the cat, why doesn't everyone do it? It'll sound pretty bad (not to mention very attractive to cops.) If that much is true, scale it back a little to the minimalist approach of drilling holes in the muffler. If you've seen the stock muffler opened, you'd see how convoluted the baffling it. By drilling a hole in the center of the muffler it'd remove a considerable amount of back pressure simply be allowing a very quick route out of the pipe to avoid most of the baffling.

I wouldn't do this myself.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by PhamKL@Dec 15 2005, 03:16 PM
Not everyone is doing this because not everyone wants to release a HP or two by compromising the muffling by a few hundredths of a decibal or two.

Think, man, if the most performance can be had from an exhaust mod by cutting after the cat, why doesn't everyone do it? It'll sound pretty bad (not to mention very attractive to cops.) If that much is true, scale it back a little to the minimalist approach of drilling holes in the muffler. If you've seen the stock muffler opened, you'd see how convoluted the baffling it. By drilling a hole in the center of the muffler it'd remove a considerable amount of back pressure simply be allowing a very quick route out of the pipe to avoid most of the baffling.

I wouldn't do this myself.
I don't understand what you are talking about.

I said no words about any performance! The sound isn't loud, and it can be compared to TRD.
I'm sure you got one (or two
).
About back pressure read this:http://www.yoursciontc.com/information/backpressure.html

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.