Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
thie dyno was taken with teh TRD s/c and the ZPI stage 0 turbo kit. bothe were set at the same PIS (stock TRD s/c psi) so hopefully some people will wisen up and instead of spending $4000 on the TRD s/c, they will drop $2850 on this turbo kit, and install it themselves (VERY easy to install) i guess im a lilltel partial to turbos considering my type-r, 300zx eclipse gsx, and my now my TC were all trubo.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Why yes, there is more power in the turbo than the supercharger. No one on these forums have argued otherwise.

The reason that the main consensus leans toward the TRD Supercharger is twofold.

One, it's CARB approved.

Two, it's under warranty and keeps the warranty from when you bought the car.

If something should happen to your engine with the ZPI turbo, you are, for lack of a better term, ####'ed.

However, if you're running the Supercharger, and your engine explodes...well, Toyota will be more than happy to fix it up for you.

So my question is why are you so willing to drop $2,850 on a turbo that can potentially destroy your entire engine, causing you to then spend another $10-12 grand fixing it again on a car that was not built for nor marketed as a major competitor for racing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
the stock tranny on the tC would prob not live too long after that turbo was dropped in..too much of a torque increase

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Roughly quoting Lance; "you can make almost anything run, but for how long?"

·
Registered
895 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Whatever....he can do whatever he wants.

JDangle just know that if you take the risk of throwing out your warrantee, shorten the engine life span, and possibly blow your engine up, you better have the money. If you can afford to fix it then i wouldn't buy it because theres chance something could happen.

The hp increase is sweet but reason people don't do it is exactly what everyones been talking about, it throws out the warrantee, and your engine wont be able to handle that power for as long as it can the S/C. Most people on this site want something reliable, which that turbo isn't.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well with the same psi, theres nothing wo worry about. its when you go above the tolerances. and since when does a motor cost 10K? and yes as stated above i am a mechanic, and yes i do have to still buy motors lol, but i know how to work on them when i exceed the motors capability of boost. but at 6 psi, theres VERY minimal danger to the motor of the TC considering that its internals are already balanced and forged. the TC is capable of more PSI than alot of you think. jotec ran up to 14 psi safely before they upgraded the internals for a final 27psi.

and to the people who think toyota will "just replace your motor" if something happens. let me tell you from a mechanics point of view, they will find EVERY possible way that it was YOUR fault. with the low psi that comes with the TRD s/c, its ALMOST guarenteed not to blow your motor, thats why they put such a good warranty on it. they would not screw themselves unless it was tried and tested thuroughly(sp) before it hit the market, aqnd was determinde there would be a VERY MINIMAL chance of you blowing your motor from the s/c.

and this post was mainly for the guys like me who really dont care about the warranty toomuch, but cant decide on weather to go s/c or turbo. i know the pros and cons of each, but for the guys/gals who wanna make their TC fast, this is the most cost effective way.

and trust me: i know about blowing motors here was my type-r with its first motor lol

i blew that at rocky mountain raceway when i got a little too cocky and turned the boost up to 16psi, when i KNEW it wasnt ready yet for it. new motor cost $2500.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Oh well in that case, that's perfectly fine. I've a Saturn standing by in case a turbo blows the 2AZ (if/when I decide with turbo.) In that sense, I agree with you. In the tC I want a little something extra and the TRD SC isn't really providing much more than a very smooth increase in power. To be honest, it's not much more interesting than a Camry V6. Of course, I didn't drive that one myself... But still, I would like to have something a little more fun than the Saturn. Sturdy car that Saturn.. kicked it like 10 times and not a dent.

·
Registered
5,918 Posts
drop $2850 on this turbo kit, and install it themselves (VERY easy to install)[/b]
how do you install it easily?

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
Hahaha a horn.

I think what would be a "wiser" thing to do is that you have a daily driver on the side then decide to max out your car with turbos and whatnot. Doing that stuff to your daily driver is just stupid as ####.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well i do have a turbo 300zx as well, but thats ripped apart right onw getting upgraded turbos, pistons, rods, crank, etc. the pic of the type-r i had was from last year (well jan 05) when i traded it in for my TC. i know i know what was i thinking trading it in for a tC? well i pretty much did everything i could/wanted to do to that and i wanted a new platform to eperiment with. my TC is paid off (paid off 4 minths after i bought in in jan 05), and i dont know why i got the extended warranty when i blew it 5 months after i got it lol.

and its a easy install cause it comes with very simple directions (8th grade reading level) i guess it might be a little more easy for me cause i have a extensive mechanical past. but none the less, its a very esy and direct install. if you can read, and you know what parts of your motor are (i would hope so) then you can install it. you dont even have to tap your oil pan, you get a new one pretapped!.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.