Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K so I got my foglights in today, and they didn't come with instructions on how to install them. These are the OEM style foglights, but the wiring is TOTALLY different than the kind with the instructions that are posted on the information section of this website.

There are 2 black wires and 2 reds.
I figured where 3 out of the 4 wires are supposed to go. (the rest of the wires are prewired, and connect to the actual lights, and the switch)

1 black = ground
1 black = negative terminal of battery
1 red (has "c" shaped metal end (like the black ones))=positive terminal of battery

This leaves the very last red wire. Now this red wire doesn't have a "c" shaped end like a ground wire would. Its looks more like a single prong. (like in a plug)
Now if I place this red wire against the positive terminal with the rest of the wiring hooked up, the lights work......but obviously this is not where it is supposed to go since the shape of the end looks more like it plugs into something. I'm mostly concerned that maybe attaching this wire straight to the positive terminal of the battery might cause some kind of electrical problems eventually. I dunno, I'm no electrician.
I was thinking that maybe this red wire was meant to somehow be spliced with a lighting component, that recieves constant power ie) daytime running lights. But even if this guess was correct, I wouldn't know which wires to splice.

Does anybody know where this red wires true home is?

·
Registered
266 Posts
I truly do not know what OEM kit you got. It is not the OEM set up if it is not the prewired set-up. Only one wire to connect on that one. The ground. All others are connectors. Sorry cannot help because colors mean nothing unless you can see the wiring..they should mean something but to most off-shore manufacturers they do not follow set standards on wiring.

Remember that most local fog lighting rules require that the fogs only will come on with the low beam headlights and not independent of them. They must always go off when switching to high beams. If you have state inspection..here in VA..where I live...it will fail if the inspector checks them.

·
Registered
180 Posts
if you go over to Ken's site and look up the instructions for the OEM lights, you could try and find out which wires to tap into if you want to use the stock fog light wiring..

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ya they work when the red wire is connected either to the battery or this one prong in the fuse box that is in an extra unmarked spot....They work how they are wired now but Im pretty sure that its the incorrect way to wire them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.