Scion tC Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where exactly are the fog lamps installed? Are they even available yet?

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
They are not available yet, and my understanding is that they are installed in the two small openings in the grill on each side of the front.

·
Registered
675 Posts
from what the dealer told me.. looks like the first of the year, 2005.. january sometime.. they'll be available.. price? $350 from the dealer.. www.mcgeorgeparts.com (mcgeorge toyota, scion, richmond VA) will probably have them for less..

·
Registered
372 Posts
Originally posted by TCrazy@Aug 27 2004, 06:41 PM
which brings me to a question: Are the wires pre-run? - t
But the real question is do you care?? Not to be flippant, but for $351, I expect excellent fog lights and seXual favors. Realistically, it should not run more than $100 for nice fog lamps. I would like to know how they justify this.

Anyone hear enough info to warrant this kind of $$?

Cheers,

Dan

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by GA tC+Aug 27 2004, 11:04 PM-->QUOTE (GA tC @ Aug 27 2004, 11:04 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-TCrazy
@Aug 27 2004, 06:41 PM
But the real question is do you care?? Not to be flippant, but for $351, I expect excellent fog lights and seXual favors. Realistically, it should not run more than $100 for nice fog lamps. I would like to know how they justify this.

Anyone hear enough info to warrant this kind of $$?

Cheers,

Dan [/b]
I think you are using cheap Auto-Zone fog lamps as your comparison to the 350.00 Toyota fog lamps. The high price comes from a few things:

1. OEM Quality
2. OEM Warranty
3. They know everyone wants them, and will purchase them
4. They know people can install them themselves, and they wont make as much money on install per/hour charges like with springs......so they make it up on the front end with the product. Make sense? -t

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I agree that $500 installed for fog lamps is a bit much, but as T said, for OEM quality, fitment, and installation, its not all that bad. Infact, on cars that have fog lights as an option, its usually at least $500 to add them to the price of the car. On the other hand, they better be of the HIGHEST quality, brightness, and maybe even HID for that price. I was thinking about doing an 8K watt hid conversion in my headlights and just never getting for lights. We'll see though, I will be interested to see how they look and how much they help your visibility at night.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by TCrazy@Aug 27 2004, 06:41 PM
I believe the car IS wired for fog lamps already, I've seen a "fog lamp option connector" mentioned on the schematics and the small fuse box inside the car (just behind the hood release handle) has fuse #14 marked as "FR FOG"

·
Registered
936 Posts
Originally posted by Ivben Blown+Aug 28 2004, 12:02 AM-->QUOTE (Ivben Blown @ Aug 28 2004, 12:02 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-TCrazy
I believe the car IS wired for fog lamps already, I've seen a "fog lamp option connector" mentioned on the schematics and the small fuse box inside the car (just behind the hood release handle) has fuse #14 marked as "FR FOG" [/b]
thank you for the info.....i will check that out tommorow! I would assume the cars are equipped already with the wiring.......it just makes more sense from a cost-savings standpoint for Scion. - t

·
Registered
282 Posts
Originally posted by Ivben Blown+Aug 27 2004, 08:02 PM-->QUOTE (Ivben Blown @ Aug 27 2004, 08:02 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-TCrazy
I believe the car IS wired for fog lamps already, I've seen a "fog lamp option connector" mentioned on the schematics and the small fuse box inside the car (just behind the hood release handle) has fuse #14 marked as "FR FOG" [/b]
could the FR FOG be for the front and rear defogger?? defroster? whatever they are called.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Originally posted by bizzyliz@Aug 28 2004, 03:07 AM
could the FR FOG be for the front and rear defogger?? defroster? whatever they are called.
I don't think so because fuse #26 in the same fuse block (as fuse#14) says "RR DEF I/UP". There is also a large fuse or cktbrkr (30amp) marked "DEF" and a relay labeled "DEF" on the schematic. I assume the front defogger is not electric and blows hot/dried air from the heating system like most other cars.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Considering no pair of fog lights I've ever seen (including the ones on Benzes and BMWs, mind you) have really done anything, I agree that even $350 seems like a lot...However, if you're just going to use them the way most people use their fog lights or driving lights, i.e., leave them on at any time that your headlights are on so that you can see better at the expense of blinding oncoming traffic, then I suppose it might be worth it.

Actually, most fog lights (except for the HID ones) do not blind oncoming traffic the same way driving lights do; they just suck. HID lights are pretty and a great asset to the driver, but blindingly bright to anyone with anything approaching sensitive eyes in oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Yeah there has to be something said about OE fit and finish. I had a 2000 prelude and tried a couple different lights before breaking down and paying $500 to import the OE japanese fog lights that fit like a glove!!

·
Registered
614 Posts
they would add a nice touch to the front of the car. the car should be prewired being that they had the fog lights in mind for the future.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Maybe I shouldn't post first thing in the morning when I'm grouchy.
I still stand by what I said, though...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Originally posted by imasaf@Aug 28 2004, 10:23 AM
<<snip>>On a similar note... but a totally different matter... here's what my dealer said about the fog light covers...

http://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25417 <<snip>>
This is the beginning of an excellent CAI. You take the bottom of the air intake, add a hose to bring it to the fog light cover, attach it, then add a screen to keep rocks and small mammals from being sucked into it. The you drill a couple of weep holes and you are done!

BTW, this is similar to what one calls "fogging" which I did with great success on my BMW Z3. The car was much better in terms of how it rev'ed and ran.

Thanks for the info!

Dan

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
You welcome!
I'm gonna thank Rich for taking the time to look into this stuff for all tC owners...

BTW... if anyone needs to buy a Scion in San Diego... Rich @ Kearny Mesa Scion is the man...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts