1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
lightened flywheel = faster acceleration

·
Registered
272 Posts
i know lance is a big fan of the lighter flywheel so he'll prob jump in shortly...

but the engine revs up faster you will feel a difference driving it and it will be much more fun to drive

·
Registered
180 Posts
There's no actual hp gains from a flywheel, but you will definitely notice something. Keep in mind that while rpms go up faster, than fall faster as well, since the purpose of the flywheel is to keep the inertia. So as long as you can deal with that, it should be all good.

Since you're getting a flywheel, why not get an aftermarket clutch as well? Both will require you to take out the tranny, anyways, and I'm sure it's best to get both

·
Former '05er
12,467 Posts
Any weight reduction in the drivetrain is a good thing. That's just one of the many reasons for choosing light wheels.

I have lightened cranks, flywheels, clutches, rods, pistons, and drive pulleys of all kinds in search of better acceleration. Keep in mind, there is no power gain, just less inertia, so you'll get to top speed more quickly than if the parts are heavier. Some engine parts should never be lightened by amateurs, but flywheels are pretty safe and provide excellent bang for the buck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.