Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Man what a drive home..

First went to go see the Bernard Hopkins fight... disappointment. ROBBBBBED again..

after the fight go outside and look what i see.. SNOW! First time driving in the snow with the new car.... everything was fine till I got on the highway.. dumbass pick up truck want to be "cool" and spun out and did a 360 right in front of me.. he was driving in the middle lane coming quickly to my left.. don't really know what he did, but did a 360 and approached my car... hit the breaks.. abs kicks in.. cut the wheel to the left.. my car slides and does a 180 and slide on its side.. luckily no cars were behind me .. the pick up ended up slamming into the side wall.. no offense to the guy, but i regained control and left.. adrenaline rushing at the same time was so angry at the guy i just left.... First time I was in a real accident situation.. i'm still a little shaky. But after all that, I arrived home safely... *phew* and my car is resting from a long journey home...

Great story.. now the question..

When the ABS kicks in.. what am I supposed to do.. any tips?? I never really drove that much in the winter time.. i'm just glad i didn't panic~

now she rests..

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea.. that was THE first time i've been in a "accident" type situation.. i try not to put myself in bad situations.. but this one.. the situation came and looked for me and found me...

·
Registered
675 Posts
it's always those people in the trucks/suv's they are nuts! always thinking they can re-write the laws of physics JUST because they drive a "truuuuck".. i think they've been watching too many advertisements!

but glad you're alright!!
basically with the abs, the rule is to hold it and let it do it's job, but in my experience stopping isn't always good, on ice/snow you can use your momentum to get out of the problem.. so a little abs and then off again.. just to regain your driving line.. like you did, you did fine, you avoided the idiot and kept your car in control.. it's frightening i know, been there many times living in michigan..

·
Registered
742 Posts
glad you are ok:)

Now go out and practice in a nice big parking lot, slide around, play with the brakes, throttle and steering, try different things, get a feel for what it is going to do.

Then practice doing everything sooner and smoother than normal and do not be afraid to use the throttle to pull yourself out of a bad situation.

Then only way to be good at this is from doing it, nothing else will do as you cannot take the time to think, you much act on autopilot so teach yourself to do that;)

Rick

·
Registered
868 Posts
We just had our first real snow storm here in NY. There's a little under a foot that fell outside, and I was coming home from work late last night (friday), and even with snow rubber, coming to a dead stop for a light when there is a lot of snow on the road, the ABS kicks in a little. Honestly, I really don't like it. My last car had ABS, but never worked. I think the previous owner pulled the fuse for it, and I never bothered fixing it. IMO, I prefer to try and control the breaking on my own. It seems like you have a lot less control when the car is choosing how to break. Not to mention it makes your foot feel weird. I might pull the fuse on the tC and see if I prefer to drive this car without it too. Not to mention.... when you wan't to have FUN with your car, like puposefuly do crazy stuff in the snow, ABS takes all the fun away.

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
It just snowed here too. When ABS kicks in it's to give you steering. If we didn't have abs the wheels would just lock and you'd slide straight, with no steering at all. You did the right thing, but you gotta be a little less sudden on the steering while ABS is kicking in. I know it's hard if there's some idiot spinning out in front of you.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Snowed here the first part of the week. Got to try out my Nokians in a couple inches of snow and ice. Sure makes playing in the snow less fun when the tires grip so good! hehehe

·
Registered
3,859 Posts
we have about 2 feet of snow on the ground right now here so i can probably give you advice about winter driving.

Abs is meant to pump (brakes on, brakes off, brakes on, brakes off, really fast) the brakes so you dont have to. They pump the brakes so they dont lock up (hence the name ANTI-LOCK brakes) In cars w/o abs if you start sliding you are supposed to pump the brakes. As for normal winter driving on slippery or icy roads i have a few suggestions...

1. Leave plenty of room in between you and the car in front of you because if they stop suddenly you may or may not be able to stop before hitting them.

2. Don not change speed really fast (i.e. braking and accelerating really suddenly).

3. Dont go so fast you cant control the car.

4. Like Rick said... go to an abondoned parking lot and slip slide around and mess around with the brakes. Get used to controling skids so that in the case of a skid on the freeway you know how to control it.

P.S. I am glad you are alright.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wasn't driving too fast.. i was going 35-40 on 65 mph zone.. there was no car in front of me or behind me.. like i said before i try not to put myself in a accident prone situation.. I'm gonna have to try the abandoned parking lot thingy.. thanks all x)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am terrified of driving in the snow. Learning manual transmission in dry weather is tricky enough (hills, starting without stalling), but to add snow to the mix...sometimes I wonder why I decided to by the stick shift, but I'm sure I'll get it. I am not even taking my car out in the snow except to the parking lot around the block. I always spend about 3 - 4 hours in parking lots with new cars of any type so I can figure out how the particular car reacts to sliding/skidding/stopping in the snow & ice. Like mentioned above, once it becomes second nature, your instincts are your best defense.

All in all, new car or not, I try to avoid driving in the snow/ice if at all possible - because it's not how careful you are (driving slow, trying to avoid people, leaving enough room)...it's all the idiot drivers that can't control their car that I worry about...

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yea, i must agree. Some people that own SUVs and Trucks think that they are cool. They believe all the advertisements and crap. Yes, dont get me wrong, they perform better then a car in snow but not like the advertisements show. Those things show 20+ inches of snow. My dad drives a Jeep Grand Cherokee and its real good in the snow but he doesnt drive it like a complete [email protected]$$ like some people do. Today at college a kid was driving a 2003-2004 Chevy Silverado quad cab. It has a lift kit on it big mud tires. The kid though he was cool in the snow here in NY and decided to drive fast. Well even though he has a truck and big tires, he hit an ice patch under the snow and the truck slid sideways. He lost total control at 35+ mph. (This was in a PARKING LOT!!!) the truck didnt stop until nature helped it. The truck almost hit 2 people walking on the side, then clipped a front bumber of a car and finally met its resting spot which was a tree. The tree dented in the entire passenger side of the truck. The truck was crushed up pretty bad. Thats what he get for driving like an idiot. I know SUVs and trucks are better then cars, but dont drive like an idiot. Your endangering everyone around you whether there in a car or not. No matter what car u have, ice is dangerous and nothing can help you on it. Not even a truck. Poeple need to learn how to drive! Pz

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.