Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if a 6MT from a XRS fit on a tc Im not goin to go out and do it but i was just wondering because it would be nice to have better gas milage on the highway. It could be a good upgrade to save on the high prices of gas now a days.

·
Registered
34 Posts
don't know the answer to your question, but would be nice... I know its much higher elswhere, but here in PA regular just hit $2.00 a galon!

It would void all my warrenties if I converted to ethanol wouldn't it? Damn.

·
Registered
6,586 Posts
Wouldn't the cost of switching out the transmission erase any savings in gas?

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
First, concerning the subject of this thread: 2ZZ and 2AZ are very, very, very different engines so the chance of the 6-speed from the 2ZZ fitting on our cars is less than slim.

And while we are at it, let's do some math. Let's assume that adding a 6th gear will add 2mpg to our existing EPA value of 29mpg bringin our car's EPA highway gas mileage closer to 31mpg, and let's assume that you drive 15,000 miles a year, mostly highway. So with 29mpg you would have used 517 gallons of regular gas, at 31mpg the figure would have dropped to 483 gallons, 34 galons saved in a year, and even at $2.50/gallon the savings are $85/year.

Simplest tranny swap when everything fits will probably cost around $300 in labor, plus another $1000 for the tranny from the junk yard, that's if everything fits. So your tranny swap will pay itself off in measly 15 years.

All this is true if:
1) You only drive highway
2) You drive 15,000 miles a year
3) Tranny swap will result in at least 2mpg efficiency increase
4) Gas prices rise to $2.50/gal
5) Tranny swap will cost you $1300 including the tranny.

Since most of these points are a (sometimes small, sometimes huge) stretch we can come to a surprising conclusion - leave the damn thing alone.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Ding ding ding ding, Schools out!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
LOL!

While I agree that running 4k rpms on the highway isnt great. I challenge you to find another 4 tinker 5 speed that doesnt do it. I would be curious where the hell the got the estimated MPG figures from.

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
tC @ 75mph is running at around 3400rpm, right?
1ZZ rolla @75mph is running at 2900rpm

dunno about 2ZZ, but 2ZZ is meant to run at higher RPMs.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
It would be nice to have a 6 speed... but i dont think its worth all the hassle. And to be honest with you.. I don't like the 6 speed gear box out of the celica GT-S... its sloppy... and not all that much better as far as RPM/Speed ratios on the highway!

·
Registered
48 Posts
It would be nice to have a six speed. but the BEST would be to have the nice tight 5gears of the TC, PLUS a nice LOOOOOng sixth gear for low effort, long distance, all highway travel. that would make a BIG difrence in MPG for highway. and still have the solid tight first five. Kick but @ a race, or be nice and efficient.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts