Scion tC Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a forum that claims the final drive ratio for a manual Gen 5 Camry is 3.944 vs. our 4.235. I would be really interested in finding out if this is true. IMHO, I would like my tC a lot better with a taller final drive ratio.

I put the Camry ratio into my magic gearchart and determined the rpm at 75 mph would drop from 3361 to 3130. I know it doesn't sound like a lot, but I know I would sacrifice a little quickness for a little lower cruising rpm.

Anyone know where to find a blown up Gen 5 Camry? TAP Recycling isn't listing any.

· Registered
4,643 Posts
This quickness and short final drive is what I really like about my 5-speed tC... It's unconventional and it works. Makes the tC stand out vs. regular bland 5-speeds out there.

Find somebody with current access to toyota tech. When I had the access I used it up getting the tC's service manual

· Former '05er
12,590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, but then you have to re-engineer the whole suspension (and get it to look like a car again, not an RX330). For instance, if you went with 225/45/18s instead of 225/40/18s, you would have a significantly taller tire with the same effect as running a taller gear.

But then I'd want to drop the car to make it look normal again. Unfortunately, dropping it changes all the angles of the suspension, so the carefully figured dimensions are not what the factory intended and you have "issues" with tie rod angles, changed roll center, changed center of gravity, and a host of other problems I'd prefer not to solve if I can just get a final drive gear that's a little taller.

· Registered
11,890 Posts
car-parts.com

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.